IC-92AD and OFs

Forum for the promotion and understanding of digital voice on the amateur bands.

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

mancow
Moderator - Dayton 2007 Supporter

IC-92AD and OFs

Post by mancow »

My shiny new IC-92AD showed up in the mail today and I just did get time to fire it up tonight.

What's the very first thing I hear in DV mode? Some guy's knee surgery and shoulder ailments.

:bnypancake:
va3wxm
98247E-011480-1

Re: IC-92AD and OFs

Post by va3wxm »

They've got a review of it in the September QST. :ham:
mancow

Post by mancow »

I've only had it a few hours and have only listened but so far it's great. I got it due to the begging of a friend that got one and kept saying how great it was. After checking into the features I tend to agree. They really seemed to put some thought in to all of this. The audio quality is great. It has a slightly different sound than IMBE since it's AMBE. It sounds less watery and more CVSD old school Securenet. Don't get me wrong... it's not rough like Securenet but it has that kind of fine digitized sound to the voice.

The signal I was listening to wouldn't even register on the S meter on the scanner since the repeater is so far away but the Icom had no problems at all decoding. I haven't figured out all the rest of the features of the digital mode yet so that's the project for this evening when I go up to the KC area.

The radio is built very well. The back is all metal and the plastic feels like a Motorola. It seems to have a great receiver that extends from AM broadcast to about 1000Mhz.

I'm impressed so far.
kv5e

Post by kv5e »

I just sold a 2 year old IC-91AD and upgraded to an IC-92AD. It's a quality radio and is easily programmable from the FP, although the realtime environment with the RS-92 software is great.

Saw many on the belts of Motosexuals at Austin Summerfest ! :baby:

Craig
WILSON WILSON, GREEN, WE HAVE RAWHIDE ARRIVAL, NO PRESS, NO PROTESTORS
escomm
professor of rectalingus

Post by escomm »

op hows ur prostate good buddy?

hi hi and fine business
I'd hit it so hard you'd have to be to King of England to pull me out
mancow

Post by mancow »

weak stream and damn that Dr. has fat fingers but otherwise good hi hi........... over
slimbob
142490-000000-7

Post by slimbob »

mancow wrote:My shiny new IC-92AD showed up in the mail today and I just did get time to fire it up tonight.

What's the very first thing I hear in DV mode? Some guy's knee surgery and shoulder ailments.

:bnypancake:
What was the first thing you heard in FM? "Go Secure?"
Pass me my Saber -- it's the one marked 'Bad Motherf***er'.
KE7JFF
98247E-011400-8

Post by KE7JFF »

I've played around with an IC-V82 with the D-STAR board installed and I wasn't that impressed with the audio quality of AMBE over IMBE. Maybe its Icom's own AMBE implementation, but it sounds way more like RealAudio 1.0 on a 28.8k modem. I know IMBE (at least in P25) can sound like that sometimes but this was way more consistent.
Mountain Wave Search & Rescue www.mwave.org
Keeping the wackers out of SAR since 1990!
ka8ypy
Administrator

Post by ka8ypy »

KE7JFF wrote:I've played around with an IC-V82 with the D-STAR board installed and I wasn't that impressed with the audio quality of AMBE over IMBE. Maybe its Icom's own AMBE implementation, but it sounds way more like RealAudio 1.0 on a 28.8k modem. I know IMBE (at least in P25) can sound like that sometimes but this was way more consistent.
AMBE and IMBE are the codecs used for FM Digital work...P25 Phase 2 will be using AMBE+ codec I believe (will have to wait until APCO make it official).
I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen commrade
KE7JFF
98247E-011400-8

Post by KE7JFF »

ka8ypy wrote:
KE7JFF wrote:I've played around with an IC-V82 with the D-STAR board installed and I wasn't that impressed with the audio quality of AMBE over IMBE. Maybe its Icom's own AMBE implementation, but it sounds way more like RealAudio 1.0 on a 28.8k modem. I know IMBE (at least in P25) can sound like that sometimes but this was way more consistent.
AMBE and IMBE are the codecs used for FM Digital work...P25 Phase 2 will be using AMBE+ codec I believe (will have to wait until APCO make it official).
Yes, i've read about that. Will be interesting to hear any audio samples on that.
Mountain Wave Search & Rescue www.mwave.org
Keeping the wackers out of SAR since 1990!