What good is commercial digital two-way anyway?

Forum for the promotion and understanding of digital voice on the amateur bands.

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

mr.syntrx
98247E-211491-4
Location: HI HI FINE BUSINESS OLD MAN THERE ON THE FINE BUSINESS HIHI QSL

Post by mr.syntrx »

wavetar wrote: Not so much a slam against TAIT intended, more so to the NB government for not wanting to take advantage of an already exisiting SmartZone Omnilink system which merely has to be expanded into the province, not built from the ground up. It was proven here in NS that if properly engineered & implemented, Motorola's system kicks serious ass. Hell, a lot of Southern NB is covered by it, and it's not even intentional.
Fair enough. Yeah, with a kick arse system sitting right next door, I'd be pissed off money being wasted (and interoperability being thrown out the window) like that, too.

We're in a different situation: New South Wales' SZOL system (the Government Radio Network, or GRN) is a rotten piece of shit (thanks to the beancounters cutting corners like crazy). Seeing agencies getting off the GRN is a very good thing.

The only good thing about the GRN is the new zone that covers Canberra - that part of the network works really well. Can't say much for the rest of it though.
Support the Warfighter
VE9MP
98247E-011480-1

Post by VE9MP »

Wavetar wrote:Yes, I originally programmed all of their radios, and was in St.John to give a 1-day crash course on the radios & TMR system in general. DFO is loving it.
Dude....I'd kill to have your job! You've got to send me some archived codeplugs! An few CP's from EHS, DNR, EMO, RCMP and whatever you can conjure up would kick ass man! Pretty pretty please with sugar on top?
[email protected] :baby:
Wavetar wrote:Gagetown huh? Makes sense since all of DND here in Halifax have been on the system since about April of last year. CFB Greenwood was a couple of years earlier. I also programmed their radios as well. A small number of older XTS3000, but the bulk are XTS2500 & XTS5000 for portables, with Astro Spectras for mobiles. I didn't do any specifically for Gagetown though...you might have only heard some of the visiting MP's from NS or something.
It sounded like they were installing the radios and doing some testing, they were commenting about where to install the speakers and they were commenting on the ASTRO audio....I'm pretty sure it was Gagetown, but it could easily be something from NS. You can hear Halifax area RCMP on a fairly regular basis coming over the Fredericton sites, I'm not sure why it would be affiliated here, but it makes for some good listening!

Do you know if the RCMP are setting up a Fail-Soft system in NS? I've heard 868.5250 in two different places (Digby and the Airport) and it seemed to be simulcast with the trunking talkgroup for those areas. I thaught it could have been something to supplement coverage in weak areas, but then again thats kind of unlikey since Mashalltown for example, will kick ass right up to Bridgetown and beyond.

-Nick
VE9MP
98247E-011480-1

Post by VE9MP »

I just checked my "lists" here and that Military talkgroup (57920/E24)shows as being Channel "D19" from Nova Scotia....

not sure what the case is with this one....??
Nick
wavetar
MOT1

Post by wavetar »

VE9MP wrote: Dude....I'd kill to have your job! You've got to send me some archived codeplugs! An few CP's from EHS, DNR, EMO, RCMP and whatever you can conjure up would kick ass man! Pretty pretty please with sugar on top?
[email protected] :baby:
-Nick
Now that I can't do, sorry. If you're ever in Halifax you can stop by & I can show you a couple, but my job might depend on what people decide to do with the codeplugs if I give them to them with all of the agency's info in them. Anytime I send a codeplug to somebody on batboard or whatever, I completely set it back to it's factory defaults because of that.
VE9MP wrote: Do you know if the RCMP are setting up a Fail-Soft system in NS? I've heard 868.5250 in two different places (Digby and the Airport) and it seemed to be simulcast with the trunking talkgroup for those areas. I thaught it could have been something to supplement coverage in weak areas, but then again thats kind of unlikey since Mashalltown for example, will kick ass right up to Bridgetown and beyond.

-Nick
It could very well be for supplemental coverage near Digby, as the interior of the province in that area isn't so well covered, especially for portables.

The airport one is for coverage within the airport itself, as it acts as a very good RF shield & trunked coverage inside isn't reliable enough for their needs.

Todd
Ashton Kutcher gave up his Playstation 2...I guess I would too if I had Bruce Willis' eX-box...
VE9MP
98247E-011480-1

Post by VE9MP »

Now that I can't do, sorry. If you're ever in Halifax you can stop by & I can show you a couple, but my job might depend on what people decide to do with the codeplugs if I give them to them with all of the agency's info in them. Anytime I send a codeplug to somebody on batboard or whatever, I completely set it back to it's factory defaults because of that.

Haha! I kind of expected that anyways LMAO

:whiner:

I guess i'll be making photocopies of that City of Fredericton comms manual that has all their RSS info printed out and stuck inside :baby:
Nick
smokeybehr
98247E-211491-4

Post by smokeybehr »

Michael Wright wrote:
KC8RYW wrote:You know how many hams run a trunking system...
actually there is a ham working on a 2m trunked radio system! Someplace here on hamsexy or on the new batlounge. It looks like a real interesting project, lotsa experimentation. He does admit his TRS is one of the most complicated unreliable trunked systems around but it's a start. He sometimes gets complaints from hammies... but that's another thread.

Mike
I'd love to try a TRS on the bottom end of the UHF band (420-426) but the bandplan Nazis would probably shut me down before I even start. The good thing is that there's plenty of surplus gear that would be able to cover the band, and I could theoretically put together a state-wide network.
motorola_otaku
Cock Block

Post by motorola_otaku »

smokeybehr wrote:I'd love to try a TRS on the bottom end of the UHF band (420-426) but the bandplan Nazis would probably shut me down before I even start.
Know what I'd tell them? Use it or lose it. :mjban:
And the sign says you got to have a membership card to get inside.
KC9UZB
98247E-011480-1

Post by KC9UZB »

Holy revived thread...

but it's true. Use it or lose it. In the UK, bandplans are (for now anyway) nothing more than gentleman's agreements

If I wanted I could sit on the repeater inputs and have a conversation with my mate, but likely (and rightly) I'd get a bollocking.

But as long as I'm not doing anything stupid or interfering with anyone no-one is gonna tell me to change frequency.
K2JLX
sarcastic twat

Post by K2JLX »

you mean a bollocking like this dave? Oh and why do I feel like HAL9000 when I type Dave or use that name on IRLP? :baby:

Homophobe....... I'd hit it like a fucking screen door in a Goddamn tornado. When you get all old and sickly my round arsed friend, you will learn to take advantage of situations as they arise or do without. Does that make me a fag? Dunno.....don't care........but it means I am not going to do without....... -- FatherJack - 3/29/2012
K2JLX
sarcastic twat

Post by K2JLX »

"Bollocks" is a word of Anglo Saxon origin, meaning testicles in British English and in Hiberno-English. The word is often used figuratively, most commonly as a noun to mean "nonsense" or as an expletive following a minor accident or misfortune, but also in a number of other ways: as an adjective to mean "poor quality" or "useless", as a noun to mean "top quality" or "perfection" (e.g., "That bike is the dog's bollocks!"), and in various compound expressions (see below). Owing to its versatility, bollocks has been called the Swiss Army knife of andrological profanities, in that it is the most versatile word in the English language
Homophobe....... I'd hit it like a fucking screen door in a Goddamn tornado. When you get all old and sickly my round arsed friend, you will learn to take advantage of situations as they arise or do without. Does that make me a fag? Dunno.....don't care........but it means I am not going to do without....... -- FatherJack - 3/29/2012
KB9SXK
98245C-001400-5

Post by KB9SXK »

Sort of like "Nu?" in Yiddish
"I'm with the government, I'm here to help you"

VE6HBD:
"I would have killed for a bear with a working asshole."

W2WTF:
"shut your fat arrogant yankee horses rear up and keep your opinions to yourself."
KC9UZB
98247E-011480-1

Post by KC9UZB »

That's the [dog's] bollocks = good

That's f***in bollocks = bad

I'll bollock the **** = give someone a good talkin to

Talking bollocks = you're talking shite (no your testicles haven't started speaking to you :baby: )

He dropped a bollock = a cock up.

top bollocks = good, and also to describe a woman's boobies.

This concludes English 101.
K2JLX
sarcastic twat

Post by K2JLX »

Addendum:

i. Bollocks to that == f*** that

ii. This curry is the f***ing bollocks == Best curry you have tasted

iii. I was down the pub with my mate last night and I drank a bollock load of beer == I drank a *lot* of beer with my mate at the pub last night

iv. She can play with my bollocks anytime she wants == :baby: :baby:

That is all.
Radio_Cowboy
14249C-001400-8

Post by Radio_Cowboy »

Very good, you Todgers! :baby:
My pappy was a pistol, I'm a son of a gun!
mr.syntrx
98247E-211491-4
Location: HI HI FINE BUSINESS OLD MAN THERE ON THE FINE BUSINESS HIHI QSL

Post by mr.syntrx »

Napalm wrote:That's the [dog's] bollocks = good

That's f***in bollocks = bad

I'll bollock the **** = give someone a good talkin to

Talking bollocks = you're talking shite (no your testicles haven't started speaking to you :baby: )

He dropped a bollock = a cock up.

top bollocks = good, and also to describe a woman's boobies.

This concludes English 101.
One of my mates' employer uses language filtering on their email system. It lets you say shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker and tits, but it'll block your message if it contains bollocks :baby: