Power up a Astro Spectra 110W without the Head.

Forum for the promotion and understanding of digital voice on the amateur bands.

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

grinthock
hamsexy oracle

Power up a Astro Spectra 110W without the Head.

Post by grinthock »

I've got my Astro Spectra installed, i'd like to be able to bring hte drawer inside to program -- sans the head...

I hear it's possible but need a sure answer on how to trick it to power up (instead of bricking)

Thoughts?
-------------------------------------------------
Grinthock
Hamsexy Ontario Chapter

"Keep it real... Keep it... HamSexy!"
kb3jkp

Post by kb3jkp »

it can be done as long a you're not using an a9/w9 head......

pins 20/21 need to be shorted IIRC,don't hold me to that though.
grinthock
hamsexy oracle

Post by grinthock »

When we start talking about "shorting" things... i'd rather be sure.

and it's a W9
Grinthock
Hamsexy Ontario Chapter

kb3jkp

Post by kb3jkp »

if it's a W9 then you're short, IIRC, since the CH stores some channel info... it'll "yell at you" about not being able to find the CH,and it won't continue to read the radio...
JAYMZ
gangster of love

Post by JAYMZ »

Actually the Astro series doesn't store channel names in the control head a la Analog Spectra and Syntor 9000.

It's not really a short... you are putting in a jumper from a power source into a pin that reads power and turns the radio "on" logically. It will revert to it's home mode and operate as it should, without being able to increase volume, change channel etc. You can draw speaker and microphone pins from either of the DB25 connectors though.

This is a very common practice too. Whenever I make a programming change on my radios I pull the drawers, bring them inside where it's warm and where I have a comfy chair to work in and program away.
JAYMZ

"To grow, you must be willing to let your present and future be totally unlike your past. Your history is not your destiny." -- Alan Cohen.
grinthock
hamsexy oracle

Post by grinthock »

Ok so the answer is -- yes I can do it?

so the next question is -- how?
Grinthock
Hamsexy Ontario Chapter

JAYMZ
gangster of love

Post by JAYMZ »

Yes you can power up the radio that way. All I did was take a DB25 male connector, soldered a jumper between 21 and 22, add a hood and there you have it.
JAYMZ

"To grow, you must be willing to let your present and future be totally unlike your past. Your history is not your destiny." -- Alan Cohen.
grinthock
hamsexy oracle

Post by grinthock »

This is the problem, one person says 21/22 and one says 20/21

Wish I could find a pinout somewhere, if I make that mistake it's going to be expensive.
Grinthock
Hamsexy Ontario Chapter

mancow
Moderator - Dayton 2007 Supporter

Post by mancow »

It's too bad every drop of humor has been squeezed out of that place. I don't visit nearly as often as I used to. As soon as something mildly interesting starts it's killed off.

You can't crack a joke.

You can't actually talk about anything interesting beyond "where's the fuse".

There isn't much left but newbies with the same damn questions over and over.
mancow

Post by mancow »

OK.....??? This reply was meant for X's thread about his joke over at Batlabs.
batdude
Moderator - Clusterfuck Organizer

Post by batdude »

you are correct mancow, every drop of humor HAS been squeezed out of the place.

mainly b/c of people not knowing where to draw the line... and b/c some people actually want technical questions answered without weeding thru BS to find it.

the lounge was kept to a dull roar on batlabs - and when it got out of hand, it was sent to the shitcan - where it belonged.

there's a place for humor - the batlounge - and here.

doug
XTS 5000 Option Q52, available to authorized goverment users only, allows front panel programmability of your XTS 5000 VHF portable radio...........
mancow

Post by mancow »

I tend to disagree. I think they went overboard and threw the baby out with the bath water.

It seemed like the lazy way out. Instead of cracking down on assclowns they just did away with everything. I mean it's pretty much a wasteland now of the same recycled crap. Look at the no ebay link rule. You can't even point to an auction for reference purposes.
kb3jkp

Post by kb3jkp »

go with Jaymz, I was shooting from the hip.....
JAYMZ
gangster of love

Post by JAYMZ »

My bad... I miscounted, but I confirmed it to be sure. Put a jumper between pins 20 and 22. This will power the radio for programming.
JAYMZ