KQ2H / NYC

Forum for the promotion and understanding of digital voice on the amateur bands.

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

K2JLX
sarcastic twat

KQ2H / NYC

Post by K2JLX »

QST, QST:

Alex (KQ2H) / repeater net owner has just installed a Dstar receive site on the top of the Empire state building in NYC.

I don't have an ICum radio so I don't really care, but for you that do and your in or around NYC, NJ and upstate (its a wide area link) check it out.. The frequencies are on his website which I forget but can easily be googled.

When he gets P25 going, THEN I will pay attention. :baby:
Last edited by K2JLX on Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
alex
Dayton 2007 Supporter

Post by alex »

So he put a RX... how nice... how about a repeater? :)

-Alex
JAYMZ
gangster of love

Post by JAYMZ »

It's a repeater "system" there dingleberry... The DStar is just a link into the system of repeaters. UHF, VHF and LowBand I think.
JAYMZ

"To grow, you must be willing to let your present and future be totally unlike your past. Your history is not your destiny." -- Alan Cohen.
K2JLX
sarcastic twat

Post by K2JLX »

JAYMZ wrote:It's a repeater "system" there dingleberry... The DStar is just a link into the system of repeaters. UHF, VHF and LowBand I think.
Yeh he has VHF via W2FLA, UHFs all over NYC and a 10 and 6 meter link.
Homophobe....... I'd hit it like a fucking screen door in a Goddamn tornado. When you get all old and sickly my round arsed friend, you will learn to take advantage of situations as they arise or do without. Does that make me a fag? Dunno.....don't care........but it means I am not going to do without....... -- FatherJack - 3/29/2012
ka8ypy
Administrator

Post by ka8ypy »

Ummmm...That's great, but is the rest of the system D-Star or just the one receiver?

If he doesn't have a D-star tranmitter as well, then what is the use.

If on the other hand it is the entire repeater tied into the rest of his repeaters, then I see...
I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen commrade
K2JLX
sarcastic twat

Post by K2JLX »

ka8ypy wrote:
If on the other hand it is the entire repeater tied into the rest of his repeaters, then I see...
It is.
Homophobe....... I'd hit it like a fucking screen door in a Goddamn tornado. When you get all old and sickly my round arsed friend, you will learn to take advantage of situations as they arise or do without. Does that make me a fag? Dunno.....don't care........but it means I am not going to do without....... -- FatherJack - 3/29/2012
alex
Dayton 2007 Supporter

Post by alex »

ka8ypy wrote:Ummmm...That's great, but is the rest of the system D-Star or just the one receiver?

If he doesn't have a D-star tranmitter as well, then what is the use.

Exactly my point I was trying to make. Thanks Dan and JLX for the info.

-Alex
JAYMZ
gangster of love

Re: KQ2H / NYC

Post by JAYMZ »

k2jlx wrote: a Dstar receive site
That statement lends to the logic that it is only receiving DStar, and not retransmitting it. Which to me makes no sense. But it's a citiot with lots of money to spend. And it's really not doing anything for the system up here at all. So, I'm not terribly impressed. A receive site for something that I don't plan on using that is 100+ miles from me. zzzzZZZZzzzzZZZz
JAYMZ

"To grow, you must be willing to let your present and future be totally unlike your past. Your history is not your destiny." -- Alan Cohen.
K2JLX
sarcastic twat

Post by K2JLX »

Sorry for the confusion, it seems that the Empire antenna base is currently the only place you can get into his system with DStar; which is pretty handy if your in Manhattan, but as JAYMZ points out, not much good up here in the rolling hills upstate.

Who knows, maybe all his $$'s will afford him more DStar sites dotted around the area, frankly its all rather moot to me too. For me; the P25 repeater in Warwick NY is much more interesting :baby:
n3jfw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by n3jfw »

please explain

isit a dstar stsyem or analog system?

or did dude just put up a single dstar reapeater

or did you already answer that and my fever is kicking in
N3JFW 4:29 pm
(4:29:48 PM): so he's gay huh
(nameless ham) 4:30 pm
(4:30:02 PM): haha no, but he is a music major
N3JFW 4:30 pm
(4:30:15 PM): so he's still in the closet
ka8ypy
Administrator

Post by ka8ypy »

n3jfw wrote:please explain

isit a dstar stsyem or analog system?

or did dude just put up a single dstar reapeater

or did you already answer that and my fever is kicking in
Apparently dude added a D-Star repeater, and linked it in to his other analog repeaters in the area (right?)
I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen commrade
K2JLX
sarcastic twat

Post by K2JLX »

ka8ypy wrote: Apparently dude added a D-Star repeater, and linked it in to his other analog repeaters in the area (right?)
Yes, thats it.
Mong
9A247E-211493-9

Post by Mong »

Mong
9A247E-211493-9

Post by Mong »

Analog & D-star on the same input of 444.225

Analog & D-star voice is sent out on both outputs

D-star output of 439.225

Analog output of 449.225

You don't get all of the other stuff that D-star can do, and it's sure not a mixed mode repeater either, but it is interesting.
n3wrx
142490-000000-7

Post by n3wrx »

FYI, the D-Star transmitter was disabled on the system a few months back - a result of a rather ridiculous unfolding of behavior involving a user's reaction to taunts over the performance of their spanky new iCOM $500 HT.

Anyway, while I'm at it, a plug for the KQ2H repeater Yahoo! group - lots of system docs, photos, ghey polls, and more. Check it out if you use the system or are in the NYC metro area.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kq2h_repeater/
K2JLX
sarcastic twat

Post by K2JLX »

n3wrx wrote:FYI, the D-Star transmitter was disabled on the system a few months back - a result of a rather ridiculous unfolding of behavior involving a user's reaction to taunts over the performance of their spanky new iCOM $500 HT.

Anyway, while I'm at it, a plug for the KQ2H repeater Yahoo! group - lots of system docs, photos, ghey polls, and more. Check it out if you use the system or are in the NYC metro area.

<SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE> An Astro repeater input into Alex's system would be the bollocks.</SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE>
n3wrx
142490-000000-7

Post by n3wrx »

k2jlx wrote:
n3wrx wrote:FYI, the D-Star transmitter was disabled on the system a few months back - a result of a rather ridiculous unfolding of behavior involving a user's reaction to taunts over the performance of their spanky new iCOM $500 HT.

<SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE> An Astro repeater input into Alex's system would be the bollocks.</SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE>
ITA. Imagine a P25 receiver at the Woodstock site on 10m (is there P25 equipment that'll do 10m?)? I'm sure that would be amazing.
n3wrx
142490-000000-7

Post by n3wrx »

Looks like they're adding a 220 machine up closer to your neck of the woods - at least that is a nice quiet band. Linked to KQ2H, though Alex and Sherman haven't worked out exactly how yet.

-j
K2JLX
sarcastic twat

Post by K2JLX »

..and 6 meter also I hear..big plans.. well both sherman and alex have the moolah to make it happen.
n3wrx
142490-000000-7

Post by n3wrx »

k2jlx wrote: <SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE> An Astro repeater input into Alex's system would be the bollocks.</SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE>
Now's our chance! I was talking with Alex last night - he is amenable to experimenting with P25, so long as we pitch in ($) on the gear.

What say ye?
mr.syntrx
98247E-211491-4
Location: HI HI FINE BUSINESS OLD MAN THERE ON THE FINE BUSINESS HIHI QSL

Post by mr.syntrx »

Speaking of D-Star, what's with the bullshit design of Icom's 23cm repeaters?

They should build that gear like a microwave system (seeing as that's what it is, L-band microwave), with an IDU containing the smarts, and an ODU consisting of a block up/down convertor and power amplifier mounted right near the antenna, with 70MHz IF between the two. Saves having to pay for LDF6-50 (which is like $10 a foot) if you want to mount the antenna a couple hundred feet up.
Support the Warfighter