ASTRO Spectra analog audio

Forum for the promotion and understanding of digital voice on the amateur bands.

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

Josh
Dayton 2007 Supporter

Re: ASTRO Spectra analog audio

Post by Josh »

Weren't we all bashing how bad analog sounded on a digital radio, processed via DSP?

Anyhow, I love my astro spectra radios, I have one on every usable band and enjoy the clarity of the audio. The astro saber sounds equal to it (same vocon).

Anyhow, the only thing I don't like about it in analog and CSQ is the lack of sensitivity of the radio. It's just not as hot as the analog version and cannot be adjusted (lame).

With weak signals and PL coding and muting options set to "standard" I'll easily get the radio to unmute for weak signals, sometimes even when the busy light doesn't even come on, and that's pretty nifty.

The only problem I have is with TX audio levels on analog, no matter what I try, the mic is never hot enough, and with AGC enabled, it's worse.

-Josh
Credicon
102490-000000-1

Post by Credicon »

1. You guys use Miles out in your neck of the woods :P
2. that has the be one of the best inter agency comms I've heard, not only the voice quality (assume on the same system?), but professionalism, and how easy they talked to each other, up here EMS, Police, and Fire are their own little groups and you can tell they don't enjoy dealing with one another during inter agency comms or even just relaying comms back to the dispatcher to relay to the other agencies...