Need Astro Saber 800 S-Rec

Forum for the promotion and understanding of digital voice on the amateur bands.

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

VE9MP
98247E-011480-1

Need Astro Saber 800 S-Rec

Post by VE9MP »

Need Astro Saber 800 S-Rec...don't care on the flash, as long as its Smartnet at minimum...

Please, I need this asap...

Josh, I think the s-rec I got from you musta been an Astro Spectra, I used lab to read the srec then I wrote it with no pack/unpack, and the radio won't pass its self test...

Thank ya
Nick
VE9MP
98247E-011480-1

Post by VE9MP »

r0f wrote:Nick, what host/dsp firmware is in your 800 saber? Have a secure module installed? What firmware version is the module?

Try disabling the module and reprogramming the codeplug.

I have a 599108-1C5E00 codeplug I'll send. PM your email to me.
Can't remember off the top of my head, but its DSP/Host 7ish haha, with a DES module...

Frank sent me a srec with the same flash with a bunch of WPS and RCMP stuff, so I assume it probably came from your neck of the woods...but heres the kicker, I took the VHF donor radio, read the srec with lab, and dumped it with no pack/unpack, and it all looks fine...I can read the radios, put my systems and everything, but when I go and take it apart and put the 800 board in, the radio wont pass its self test, the green light just stays on forever.... but when the VHF rf board is in it, it will power up, and I can program it, all the buttons work as thyy should, but no rf in or out (obvoiusly)...but not when the 800 board is in it? wtf?

What am I doing wrong here, I got the rf deck from a member here who tested it the night before he sent it...
Nick
VE9MP
98247E-011480-1

Post by VE9MP »

Not sure what the crypto module firmware is, its a AS 1, no screen to do service mode with...
compuman81

Post by compuman81 »

Did you put the board in an astro saber 1? if you put in an astro saber 3 s-record the radio wont boot up because it's missing the screen and failing to communicate with the CPU.....
VE9MP
98247E-011480-1

Post by VE9MP »

Turned out to be a problem with the interconnect and not seating properly, tried reseating it a few times (a bunch actually) and it worked...

Srec took as well, and all is working 100%

Thanks
Nick
VE9MP
98247E-011480-1

Post by VE9MP »

Issue the second...

Talkgroups...

Other then our little geek groups simplex channel, all I have in the radio is 1 trunking system and personality...for now

We use talkgroup 00512 (scanner format) which equates to 020 in Hex, right?

I have all the CC's in, everything is in right as far as I can tell, the radio will auto-affiliate, give me the talk permit tone, but it won't communicate with any of our other radios, it won't tx or rx our talkgroup, only in private call mode..

I think for some reason, its tx'ing on another users talkgroup because someone keeps keying up that I can hear on the AS, but not my MTS haha
Victor Xray
DAYTON 2006/2007 SUPPORTER

Post by Victor Xray »

Is this a P25-9600 system? If not, that TG ID (odd decimal) doesn't look SmartNet compliant.
There's nothing more permanent than a temporary solution.
exkalibur
98247E-011480-1

Post by exkalibur »

Why wouldn't it be SmartNet happy? There are numerous SmartNet systems up this way, most of which have odd numbered talkgroups. The only time a talkgroup being odd or even matters is with priority scan, even numbered talkgroups don't jive.
[01:12] Seth: hey
[01:13] Seth: what do you use for a sore anus?
[01:14] exkalibur: more lube?
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

Priority Scan is an inherent feature of SmarNet. I didn't say an odd dec/even hex ID wouldn't work, I said it wasn't compliant.
motorola_otaku
Cock Block

Post by motorola_otaku »

exkalibur wrote:There are numerous SmartNet systems up this way, most of which have odd numbered talkgroups.
Smartnet or Smartzone? I asked the same question on Batlabs, and was told that odd-numbered talkgroups were introduced with Smartzone. Now, it's entirely possible that your "Smartnet" system is actually a Smartzone system that happens to only have one site. I believe VX's work system is configured that way.

I double-checked the math, and 512 does come out to 20 in hex. If it works with identical programming in other radios beside the Astro Saber.. I dunno.
And the sign says you got to have a membership card to get inside.
VE9MP
98247E-011480-1

Post by VE9MP »

It works in my MTS, so unno either haha

This is just the run of the mill 3600 baud Smartnet system...
Nick
motorola_otaku
Cock Block

Post by motorola_otaku »

VE9MP wrote: This is just the run of the mill 3600 baud Smartnet system...
Again, a 3600 baud CC and single-site operation does not necessarily equate to Smartnet. Find out what kind of controller setup they have.. if it's MTR2000s, MSF5000s, or Micors and a 6809 controller, it's probably Smartnet. If it's Quantars, it's probably 4.1 Smartzone operating as a single site.

Oh, and 900 Privacy Plus supported odd-numbered talkgroups, but I'm pretty sure that was a 900-only thing.
And the sign says you got to have a membership card to get inside.
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

motorola_otaku wrote:Now, it's entirely possible that your "Smartnet" system is actually a Smartzone system that happens to only have one site. I believe VX's work system is configured that way.
Neg, SmartNet only, 4 site simulcast.
mr.syntrx
98247E-211491-4
Location: HI HI FINE BUSINESS OLD MAN THERE ON THE FINE BUSINESS HIHI QSL

Post by mr.syntrx »

Victor Xray wrote:Is this a P25-9600 system? If not, that TG ID (odd decimal) doesn't look SmartNet compliant.
If it were, the talkgroup would be in the ASTRO 25 talkgroup field.
VE9MP
98247E-011480-1

Post by VE9MP »

I don't know what it really is then, but I changed the programming to SmartZone and still no dice...i'll ask Todd over on BL, he's more then likely the one who set it up...
Nick
exkalibur
98247E-011480-1

Post by exkalibur »

motorola_otaku wrote: Smartnet or Smartzone? I asked the same question on Batlabs, and was told that odd-numbered talkgroups were introduced with Smartzone. Now, it's entirely possible that your "Smartnet" system is actually a Smartzone system that happens to only have one site. I believe VX's work system is configured that way.
[01:12] Seth: hey
[01:13] Seth: what do you use for a sore anus?
[01:14] exkalibur: more lube?
exkalibur
98247E-011480-1

Post by exkalibur »

Yeah good job with the blank reply there Mike...

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.p ... R&sid=1572

That is a SmartNet system that only uses odd-numbered talkgroups.

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.p ... RR&sid=738

That is a SmartNet system which uses both even and odd.

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.p ... R&sid=1573

That is a single site SmartZone system which uses only odd numbers.

Someone can probably state the true reason, but I was always told that with the introduction of Privacy Plus trunking, priority scan would only work on odd numbered talkgroups., regardless if it's SmartNet, SmartSite, StartSite or SmartZone.
smokeybehr
98247E-211491-4

Post by smokeybehr »

exkalibur wrote:Yeah good job with the blank reply there Mike...

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.p ... R&sid=1572

That is a SmartNet system that only uses odd-numbered talkgroups.

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.p ... RR&sid=738

That is a SmartNet system which uses both even and odd.

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.p ... R&sid=1573

That is a single site SmartZone system which uses only odd numbers.

Someone can probably state the true reason, but I was always told that with the introduction of Privacy Plus trunking, priority scan would only work on odd numbered talkgroups., regardless if it's SmartNet, SmartSite, StartSite or SmartZone.
Here's a huge system that uses both even and odd:
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.p ... RR&sid=499

Here's one right next to it that uses only odd groups:
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.p ... RR&sid=330
VE9MP
98247E-011480-1

Post by VE9MP »

I changed it to the next hex talkgroup in sequence, 021, and now its working 100%...

Okay
Nick
Tango_Sierra

Post by Tango_Sierra »

exkalibur wrote:Someone can probably state the true reason, but I was always told that with the introduction of Privacy Plus trunking, priority scan would only work on odd numbered talkgroups., regardless if it's SmartNet, SmartSite, StartSite or SmartZone.
And you were told correctly.

Type II signaling has always supported any talkgroup regardless of it being odd or even in numbering; unless it's 800MHz then a certain range is blocked out. In order to support Priority Scan you have to use odd numbering because the low-speed data on the voice channel drops the least significant bit. With Priority Scanning it assumes that dropped bit to always be one, therefore two sequential even and odd talkgroups would be the same.

You can still use both on the system permitted the even group's odd neighbor is not added as a Priority Scan group - which therefore causes it to not appear in the low-speed - and everyone will be happy campers.

With P25 trunked voice channels (3600 or 9600) you have what was conveyed in the low-speed as digital bits in the overhead, therefore the rule is ignored. And it SZ versus SmartNet makes no difference.

Also, when you convert a scanner TG to hex you have to drop the right zero.