Why The XTS 5000

Forum for the promotion and understanding of digital voice on the amateur bands.

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

tvsjr
Moderator - Dayton 2006/2007 Supporter

Post by tvsjr »

ka8ypy wrote:
tvsjr wrote:
KD8CPX wrote:Webdoc, wanna help a fellow/neighboring EOC operator out when/if you get your hands on any such gear?
I may not be a neighbor... but don't forget your homies down in Texas. :baby:
8 Calls come first....... :baby:
No no... 8 calls come just before 6 calls, which are at the BOTTOM of the list. :baby:
KC8RYW

Post by KC8RYW »

The County Sheriff here wants to move to the MARCS system. Hmm.

Give up lowband simplex for 800 trunking.

Given the terrain in the area (hilly), it'd be better to stay with lowband simplex, but what do I know.
webdoc
98247E-011480-1

Post by webdoc »

KC8RYW wrote:The County Sheriff here wants to move to the MARCS system. Hmm.

Give up lowband simplex for 800 trunking.

Given the terrain in the area (hilly), it'd be better to stay with lowband simplex, but what do I know.
Yeah in your area it does make sense, but here is flat. The problem is OEMA and all of the other gubmint agencies are pushing for interoperable communications, which is a good idea. However there are other ways about doing that in times of need. There are the BSSA vehicles, these vehicles have interconnect boards which you can use to intergconnent any kind of radio to any other kind of radio.

Hell they could interconnect a FRS radio to 800 Mhs trunked system with that system on the BSSA trucks.

They have several of those trucks scattered about Ohio.

But back to the topic, OEMA is stuck on the MARCS system, so if counties want to use grant money from Ohio to buy/imptove communications systems, they are almost forced to start the MARCS integration. I spent a week writing a grant for this not too long ago for our county.
KC8TCQ
Ric Burney wrote:Considering July 4th food, July 5th should be celebrated as National Ass Honk Day.
zlassiter

Post by zlassiter »

webdoc wrote:Hell they could interconnect a FRS radio to 800 Mhs trunked system with that system on the BSSA trucks
I'd like to see someone try and hook up a nextel into that just to piss them off.
KD8CPX

Post by KD8CPX »

I've heard of places that have conventional repeaters hooked up with some sort of Nextel system in an area close to webdoc and I. Basically a cop can pull up a certain pttid and talk over the repeater... or so he says.
Evan Hendrick | Student
Michigan Technological University
KD8CPX

Post by KD8CPX »

By he says.. I mean the cop that I was talking to that loves his Nextel.
Evan Hendrick | Student
zlassiter

Post by zlassiter »

Can anyone say Nextel Sexy?
KB9SXK
98245C-001400-5

Post by KB9SXK »

I can plug a nextel in to my ICI. Direct connect sexy. :baby: :wacker:
"I'm with the government, I'm here to help you"

VE6HBD:
"I would have killed for a bear with a working asshole."

W2WTF:
"shut your fat arrogant yankee horses rear up and keep your opinions to yourself."
motorola_otaku
Cock Block

Post by motorola_otaku »

webdoc wrote:
tvsjr wrote:
KD8CPX wrote:Webdoc, wanna help a fellow/neighboring EOC operator out when/if you get your hands on any such gear?
I may not be a neighbor... but don't forget your homies down in Texas. :baby:
heheh I'll do my best.

For example just at the EOC, if we were to do a full rollout to the MARCS system, there would be 5 VHF Moto mobile rigs, 4 astron power supplies, and a command star lite console, that would become available, not counting the VHF HTs we have at the EOC. Then there is the City Police/dispatch center and the base/mobile radios there, then all the mbile units in the cruisers, and the HTs for the officers, The City FD, with their console and base/mobile radios, yadda yadda.

I estimate just the City of napoleon would clear up about 12 VHF spectra mobile radios w/ astron power supplies, thats just in the EOC, Police station, and FD, not counting the mobile units in the rigs and cruisers. Then there are the 5 repeaters just in the city.

From what I am hearing, if the grant goes through Hancock, Putnam, Van Wert, Mercer, Allan, Auglaize, and a few other counties are trying to do a complete rollout to the MARCS system.

We are planning on a phased rollout, first phase will be the heads of each department (police/fire/EMS/EMA), seconf phase would put the radios in each officer/firefighters rigs/cruisers, and they would all have HTs
I would hope that those guys hang on to some of their old conventional gear. Even if MARCS is the cat's ass in your area and stays up and fully networked 99.99999999% of the time, thanks to the laws of physics you're never, ever going to get the range out of 800 that you get out of VHF and UHF (when all other factors are equal, blah blah), and that makes all the difference should you ever have to fall back on simplex.

If you want to make a case out of it, do some mobile simplex comparisons between VHF, UHF, and 800. Even when P25 isn't a factor, 800 simplex range over pretty much anything except desert sucks balls.
And the sign says you got to have a membership card to get inside.
webdoc
98247E-011480-1

Post by webdoc »

motorola_otaku wrote:
If you want to make a case out of it, do some mobile simplex comparisons between VHF, UHF, and 800. Even when P25 isn't a factor, 800 simplex range over pretty much anything except desert sucks balls.
I agree. Hell they are having problems with the county FD comms as it is, and they are VHF simplex. The MARCS tower that does eist in the county is data only.

What gets me is, when everyone switches over to MARCS. someone is going to be making a buttload of money. Each radio on the system is subject to a $20.00 per month subscription fee for voice, each computer on the system that recieves data is subject to $1500/month. That is if i remember correctly, I am at home right now, took the day off.
KC8TCQ
Ric Burney wrote:Considering July 4th food, July 5th should be celebrated as National Ass Honk Day.
Radio_Cowboy
14249C-001400-8

Post by Radio_Cowboy »

motorola_otaku wrote:Even when P25 isn't a factor, 800 simplex range over pretty much anything except desert sucks balls.

It still sucks balls out here in the desert. We've tried it for s**ts and grins.
My pappy was a pistol, I'm a son of a gun!
zlassiter

Post by zlassiter »

Yea there is a county near hear that switched to a 800 system within the last few years. Michigan has a statewide 800 system but they wanted their own system (perhaps to compensate for a small...). So they got their own system that tied into the state system.

Problem is... if they have to leave the county they have no radio anymore! If there in a persuit how are they going to contact dispatch? Can anyone say payphone sexy?
zlassiter

Post by zlassiter »

They Call It Meps - and apparently they all don't have it.
smokeybehr
98247E-211491-4

Post by smokeybehr »

Rayjk110 wrote:You use ISPERN (155.475 - whatever you guys call it in your own states/jurisdictions). At least that's what happens over here. I think almost every PD in the county has 155.475 in at LEAST 1 of their radios.
We have CLEMARS and CALCORD, but you actually have to change channels on the radio to access it.
KD8CPX

Post by KD8CPX »

The Michigan System is called MPSCS (Michigan Public Safety Communication System). Even if they just tie their system into the MPSCS network, they should still be able to roam out on the main MPSCS network then..

Never heard if ISPERN but Michigan does have a VHF channel that will simulicast with a talkgroup on the MPSCS system I believe all the time, and they can patch it to wherever they need it.
Evan Hendrick | Student
zlassiter

Post by zlassiter »

The county I am speaking of's radios operate on a completley different type of radios and protocal then MSPCS does. I'm just not going to name the county because the big wigs don't like their stupidity being talked about.
zlassiter

Post by zlassiter »

Oh and to just add some more fun to the mix. A lighting bolt hit one tower in this county and took out the whole counties communication system - they relied on nextel sexy for backup.
Mong
9A247E-211493-9

Post by Mong »

Well can't all the types of 800mhz radios be programmed for conventional? Setting up mutual aid repeaters on the permitted 800mhz mutual aid frequencies is always a good idea. If the TRS gets overloaded or goes down, then there is a backup.
zlassiter

Post by zlassiter »

Because this counties 800Mhz system is golden and will never fail.

Obviously they have larger egos then their brains.
KD8CPX

Post by KD8CPX »

Mong wrote:Well can't all the types of 800mhz radios be programmed for conventional? Setting up mutual aid repeaters on the permitted 800mhz mutual aid frequencies is always a good idea. If the TRS gets overloaded or goes down, then there is a backup.

They're called ITAC up here. We have I believe 6 ITAC repeaters programmed in plus the ICALL repeater all of which can do talkaround. I also think that they are analog so in theory all 800mHz capable radios P25 or not could use them.
Evan Hendrick | Student
motorola_otaku
Cock Block

Post by motorola_otaku »

zlassiter wrote:I'm just not going to name the county because the big wigs don't like their stupidity being talked about.
I'm going to venture a guess and say Oakland County. I seem to recall their pick of vendors being mired in some controversy.
smokeybehr
98247E-211491-4

Post by smokeybehr »

KD8CPX wrote:
Mong wrote:Well can't all the types of 800mhz radios be programmed for conventional? Setting up mutual aid repeaters on the permitted 800mhz mutual aid frequencies is always a good idea. If the TRS gets overloaded or goes down, then there is a backup.

They're called ITAC up here. We have I believe 6 ITAC repeaters programmed in plus the ICALL repeater all of which can do talkaround. I also think that they are analog so in theory all 800mHz capable radios P25 or not could use them.
All 800MHz public safety licenses are REQUIRED to have the ICALL and ITAC channels in the radios. We have more than just the ICALL and ITAC repeaters available to us here in California for mutual aid on 800MHz.
zlassiter

Post by zlassiter »

All 800MHz public safety licenses are REQUIRED to have the ICALL and ITAC channels in the radios. We have more than just the ICALL and ITAC repeaters available to us here in California for mutual aid on 800MHz.

Ideally they do - in reality the dont. Its what happens when you put a politicians friend in charge of something they don't know about.

Got to love politics.
Dogwelder
MOT1

Post by Dogwelder »

KD8CPX wrote:The Michigan System is called MPSCS (Michigan Public Safety Communication System). Even if they just tie their system into the MPSCS network, they should still be able to roam out on the main MPSCS network then..

Never heard if ISPERN but Michigan does have a VHF channel that will simulicast with a talkgroup on the MPSCS system I believe all the time, and they can patch it to wherever they need it.
Fenton city in Genesee county also has its own dispatch(as opposed to North County and South County), therefore has its own talkgroups. They still have ITAC, ICALL, and state-wide frequencies in their radios.
K8TEK
FTW FOR THE WIN....

Re: Why The XTS 5000

Post by K8TEK »

Since this thread has been revived, I figured I would correct Keith's figures.

Portable or Mobile Radio $240.00 per unit/per year
Control Station $480.00 per unit/per year

Mobile Data Terminal $4,200.00 per unit/per year ($350.00 per month)
Computer Aided Dispatch $21,000.00 per unit/per year ($1,750.00 per month)
The only problem I have with this is the state makes a ton of money off of MARCS. They have close to 25,000 voice subscribers, they are making nearly $6,000,000/year off them alone. Perhaps they should use that money to upgrade their infrastructure.

They only have 4 voice channels in my area, and at least one is active constantly. Add local law enforcement, fire and ems on that and you are going to have people not able to use the system. This was quite evident during the recent flooding. Health Departments, Hospitals, State Troopers, DOT workers, Department of Natural Resources and numerous other agencies use this system already and 4 voice channels doesn't cut it here. It is a great system, but they are throwing too many users on it and don't have the capacity to handle it yet.

They brag on their website that this system is state of the art, however the control channel is 3400bps. This isn't even a true P25 system.
43686164697353757841636f7264734b6f6b0d0a
motorola_otaku
Cock Block

Post by motorola_otaku »

K8TEK wrote:however the control channel is 3400bps.
3600, you mean.. I hope. If it were me, I'd be glad I had analog as an option, assuming they're allowing new analog subscribers.

Indiana's SAFE-T system has the best deal. The state footed the bill on infrastructure, and any qualified local government user in the state gets free access.
K8TEK
FTW FOR THE WIN....

Post by K8TEK »

motorola_otaku wrote:
3600, you mean.. I hope. If it were me, I'd be glad I had analog as an option, assuming they're allowing new analog subscribers.

Indiana's SAFE-T system has the best deal. The state footed the bill on infrastructure, and any qualified local government user in the state gets free access.
3600bps, sorry. Nope, all IMBE voice.
webdoc
98247E-011480-1

Post by webdoc »

Thx for posting the corrections Tim, when I made that post I was working off of memory, which since the stroke isn't what it once was.

Tracy (the EMA Director), and I, both have the same problem, the State is making a killing. The grant we applied for to pay for the partial roolout the state wants us to have, half of it is to upgrade the tower we have as it is data only at this time.

If I am not mistaken, one of the tower sites you use is at the BGSU broadcast tower.
KC8TCQ
K8TEK
FTW FOR THE WIN....

Post by K8TEK »

webdoc wrote:Thx for posting the corrections Tim, when I made that post I was working off of memory, which since the stroke isn't what it once was.

Tracy (the EMA Director), and I, both have the same problem, the State is making a killing. The grant we applied for to pay for the partial roolout the state wants us to have, half of it is to upgrade the tower we have as it is data only at this time.

If I am not mistaken, one of the tower sites you use is at the BGSU broadcast tower.
According to radio reference, there is a site in Neapolis. They say it is in Henry County, but I have no clue where that is at.

You are correct, though. The site I am talking about is BGSU in Belmore. I am now picking up Oakwood Correctional Facility, which is odd. Nobody using their talkgroups should be affiliated with this site.

I tried calling you on the repeater today.
webdoc
98247E-011480-1

Post by webdoc »

K8TEK wrote:
webdoc wrote:Thx for posting the corrections Tim, when I made that post I was working off of memory, which since the stroke isn't what it once was.

According to radio reference, there is a site in Neapolis. They say it is in Henry County, but I have no clue where that is at.

You are correct, though. The site I am talking about is BGSU in Belmore. I am now picking up Oakwood Correctional Facility, which is odd. Nobody using their talkgroups should be affiliated with this site.

I tried calling you on the repeater today.
Hehe Neapolis is actually in Lucas County, 5.5 miles almost straight north of Grand Rapids. It is about 3/4 miles n.e of the interesection of Henry, Fulton and Lucas Counties.

I wasn't by the radio today much, haven't been out much since my trip to the hospital last week.
KC8TCQ
K8TEK
FTW FOR THE WIN....

Post by K8TEK »

That's where I thought Neapolis was. Perhaps they should put up something in Florida?
webdoc
98247E-011480-1

Post by webdoc »

There has been some tak about the WNDH broadcast tower north of Holgate, But then who knows. Personally, if they want something centrally located Malinta would be the ideal place, it is almost exactly center of the county, thats where I have been telling them for years they needed to put the county repeaters.

The County and City of Napoleon are going together to put up a 300 ft tower behing the EOC, will wait to see how that works out.
KC8TCQ
KB9SXK
98245C-001400-5

Post by KB9SXK »

motorola_otaku wrote:

Yep, we even get SOME free subscriber equipment.
"I'm with the government, I'm here to help you"

VE6HBD:
"I would have killed for a bear with a working asshole."

W2WTF:
"shut your fat arrogant yankee horses rear up and keep your opinions to yourself."
punkasschump
MOT1

Post by punkasschump »

I've had moto radios ever since my 1st mx-300s & the 5K is by far the best portble they've ever put out.

you're just a Broke-ass, can't afford it, shit-talk'n jealous 5k hater you are!! here's a radio more suitable for you:

go wash ur ball sack!!! ur polluting the forum!!!
KC9UZB
98247E-011480-1

Post by KC9UZB »

...wow

stick to the south siiiiiiide ;)
KC9UZB - ex M3ECM - expat dirty socialist Brit