Dayton vs. Plano

A place to post info about local hamfests.

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

K0KDS
14249C-000400-0

Dayton vs. Plano

Post by K0KDS »

I've been to neither, but I want to try one. Dayton sounds like a clusterfock in a bad venue, and Ohio weather seems to be hit-and-miss sometimes. And it's Ohio. I've never heard any complaints about Plano, but it sounds big enough to be worth the trip. I've never been to Texas, so that would be a plus too. Weather would probably be pretty decent in Plano. Clusterfocks can get really irritating after a while, and Plano seems like it would be a little bit more manageable.

If I were to look at pro's for Dayton, the trip to Dayton would be just under two hours shorter than the trip to Plano. Of course, the clusterfocking could also be a good thing, since there are so many "characters" there and I'm a people-watcher... but still. Bigger flea market at Dayton, but I don't really need to buy anything, since I barely use the gear that I have now.

Both seem to have a decent Hamsexy contingent.

I know a lot of the members here have been to both... anyone want to provide any input? I know it's early but it's been something I've been considering for next year so I can go ahead and make budgetary arrangements.
motorola_otaku
Cock Block

Re: Dayton vs. Plano

Post by motorola_otaku »

It is very hot in Plano. Dayton gets hot too, but nowhere near as hot as Plano. I have never been rained on in Plano to the best of my recollection, but it is not outside the realm of possibility at all.

There is no comparison between Plano and Dayton in terms of size and turnout. Plano is a decent-sized regional 'fest. Dayton is a national 'fest. You will find stuff you didn't even know you wanted at Dayton, whereas your odds are 50/50 on walking out empty-handed from Plano. Hamsexuals and :vestman: are pretty much the same everywhere you go, there are just more of them at Dayton. The venue at Plano is nice, but if you don't get there before 8:00 AM you can pretty much bank on parking out in the back forty and hiking in.

Now don't get me wrong, Plano is a lot of fun every year and we put on a pretty good show.. but if the choice were between that and Dayton I'd go to Dayton every time.
And the sign says you got to have a membership card to get inside.
Mong
9A247E-211493-9

Re: Dayton vs. Plano

Post by Mong »

Shelby NC, every Labor Day weekend for the last 50+ years. Granted, I'm not showing up anymore but maybe Father Jack will share a bottle of Toilet Duck with ya?

Actually, I hope to get home and do it so I can attend the Shelby fest, can't this year to something else scheduled for that timeframe.
I'll take a warm midget fart over a cold beer any day