Rochester - June 3-5

A place to post info about local hamfests.

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

nessman

Rochester - June 3-5

Post by nessman »

Anyone going?

We'll be there taking many Hamsexy pictures for all to mock.
KC9ECI

Post by KC9ECI »

Rochester, ?? NY? MN? Where?
Police, Firefighters and EMS are the most collectively dysfunctional group of people in existence and only we understand each other!

http://w9idx.com/
nessman

Post by nessman »

Rochester - New York
VE6HBD
Administrator - Formerly VE3HBD

Post by VE6HBD »

I was thinking of heading over...
alex
Dayton 2007 Supporter

Post by alex »

I guess I'll roll out of bed and make the 5 minute drive over there...
richard
DAYTON 2006/2007 SUPPORTER

Post by richard »

ve3hbd wrote:I was thinking of heading over...
Is the ferry running again? If so, I'd like to go.
VE6HBD

Post by VE6HBD »

I don't think the ferry gets going again until late June/early July.

The ferry's a rip=off if you have a car. I've been on it... it's a lot cheaper to drive (faster too).... or even take the train. AMTRAK from Toronto to Rochester is something like $90, round trip.

It cost me $120 US when I took my bike on the ferry last year.. not including the $4 soda and $8 hamburger I bought on board.
richard
DAYTON 2006/2007 SUPPORTER

Post by richard »

ve3hbd wrote:I don't think the ferry gets going again until late June/early July.

The ferry's a rip=off if you have a car. I've been on it... it's a lot cheaper to drive (faster too).... or even take the train. AMTRAK from Toronto to Rochester is something like $90, round trip.

It cost me $120 US when I took my bike on the ferry last year.. not including the $4 soda and $8 hamburger I bought on board.
120 for the ferry? You've got to be fucking joking.
VE6HBD

Post by VE6HBD »

Nope. Hopefully the City of Rochester will make it more practical when they start running it.
ve3nsv
98249C-001400-7

Post by ve3nsv »

Well if they couldn't keep it floating at $120 per trip I can't see it getting any cheaper the next time around?
exkalibur
98247E-011480-1

Post by exkalibur »

Last I checked, the ferry was $45 for just the vehicle, plus $25 for each occupant (including the driver). This is one way. It says it takes about an hour and a half, plus half an hour on each side for customs, loading/unloading, etc... Figure it's about a 3 hour drive...I honestly don't see how there's any savings.

Unless you aren't taking a vehicle. That, I could see being worth it...but then...it's a hamfest, you can't really buy too much stuff if you don't have a car.

They seriously need to lower the fare to make it competition for an automobile. Sorry, but spending $150 or whatever to take the ferry when driving would most likely be less? No thanks.
exkalibur
98247E-011480-1

Post by exkalibur »

Actually, I just checked. According to http://www.torontoharbour.com/toronto-r ... /fares.php...

It's $54.00 for the car, plus $27.00 for each occupant (driver included), one way. Figure two people and a car, that's $108.00 each way, or $216.00.

Rochester is about 300km from Toronto. Figure the average car getting 450km per 60L tank, and a gas price of 85 cents per litre, that's about 2 tanks of gas, including putzing around the city for a bit. So you'd be looking at about $100 for all your gas. Plus, there's the toll at the bridge which is (I think) $4.50 each way. So you're up to about $120. That's still almost $100 ahead if you drive.

Then there's the time. It's about a 3 and a half hour drive from Toronto. The ferry takes 2 hours and 15 minutes according to their website. It also says you need to be there 45 minutes before departure. That's a good 3 hours.

Sorry, but I'd sooner take the extra 30 minutes and save my $100.
va3wxm
98247E-011480-1

Post by va3wxm »

Plus the ferry's only really convenient if you don't have to drive into downtown Toronto.

For me it'd be much easier to jump on the highway and cross at Queenston/Lewiston.
VE6HBD

Post by VE6HBD »

exkalibur wrote:Then there's the time. It's about a 3 and a half hour drive from Toronto. The ferry takes 2 hours and 15 minutes according to their website. It also says you need to be there 45 minutes before departure. That's a good 3 hours..
Bah. I got to Rochester about six times a year.... I've got it down to about 2:45 crossing at QL and hitting Rte. 18 instead of the thruway (faster, more direct, more scenic and you save on the Grand Island and Thurway tolls).

And the Ferry took close to thee hours when I was on it.. it takes close to 30 mins to get all of the cars off of the boat and through customs.

The Ferry's EASY and HASSLE FREE (especially with the traffic that can crop up on the QEW/Gardiner) but it certainly isn't cost effective (even with my Jeep... ESPECIALY on the motorcycle)
exkalibur
98247E-011480-1

Post by exkalibur »

That's also very true. I can tolerate a lot of things...rain, idiot drivers, etc... but I HATE HATE HATE being stuck in traffic.

If I were to drive to Rochester, I'd probably leave Toronto around 4:30-5:00am to beat the traffic...the ferry doesn't leave that early unfortunatly.

I was driving around Commissioners Street today (near the ferry dock) and noticed some new "ROCHESTER FERRY" signs have been put up, so I guess it's going to be online soon?

Also the dock where it's to launch from has some construction hoarding up and some equipment there...I think that's new as well.

-M
nessman

Post by nessman »

You feebs! Stop hijacking my Rochester Hamfest Thread and go talk about the ferry elsewhere!

Hey Alex - you bringing Bob G. with you?

:beltfed: :halfnotworthy:
alex
Dayton 2007 Supporter

Post by alex »

nessman wrote:You feebs! Stop hijacking my Rochester Hamfest Thread and go talk about the ferry elsewhere!

Hey Alex - you bringing Bob G. with you?

:beltfed: :halfnotworthy:
I would assume that he would be going, but I haven't talked to him in a week or so.

Feel free to drop me an email, i think you have my address anyway...

-Alex
kb2vgi
102480-000000-3

Post by kb2vgi »

Looks like I'll be there sometime Saturday afternoon, depending on how early I can drag myself over there.
BW2 446.495 pl 67.0hz
Substantivo al indiki seksa alloga amatoro radio
alex
Dayton 2007 Supporter

Post by alex »

I've already seen some good hamsexy shots. I'll grab them tomorrow and work on getting them to Brian for posting :)

Nothing super exciting today --- i was there @ lunch...

Will be back tomorrow to sell some crapola!