Greater Buffalo Hamfest

A place to post info about local hamfests.

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

BLOCKHEAD
14249C-000400-0

Greater Buffalo Hamfest

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

In August...anyone going?

Mayor Mike, you ARE a douche!
shepjackson

Waste-o-time

Post by shepjackson »

It was nothing more than Rochester-lite (minus Avon Beauty Products and other such stellar Rochester-vendors)-- with the flea market folk packing up by noon and taking off -- WTF? From what I saw on the tables it appears I did not miss much -- unless all the good shit went early. I was not in need of 1970s reel to reel tape machines, 1980s dirty computer monitors or Jazz vinyl, so I popped inside the "main" area (read: small room) where there was an assortment of answering machines from the 1970s, Windows 3.1-era computer equipment and several CBs courtesy of Radio Shack, which was one of two or three commercial vendors. Did see the Hambulance and some odd 70s-era station wagon with more than 30 antennas on it -- shit, do ya think I had my camera? Nope!

Seems like the crowd in general was lite (in attendance)-- and the people working the "gate" seemed to be out of it -- did not really give directions as to where deposit the ticket for the "door prize" and did not know when I asked. Weird moment, one of the "welcoming committee" working the gate actually laughed mockingly at me because I apparently first parked in the wrong "spot" -- well at least I have a car -- I am guessing this dude hitched a ride with mommy since he probably has his digs in her basement. What was odd, is the matter was not humorous - nor really was a big deal -- but there's your ham radio social skills at work -- plus, how nice to laugh at people actually taking time and spending money to get into this thing. Hell, I could used my 7-spot for a Mighty Taco Six-Pack and been more satisfied. Oh well -- I was in the area, so I stopped in -- definately was not worth the 7 clams I upped for the 1/2 hour I browsed and re-browsed hoping I missed something good.