Amateur radio clubs will celebrate annual field day exercise

A place to post info about local hamfests.

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

lieut25
MOT1

Amateur radio clubs will celebrate annual field day exercise

Post by lieut25 »

Located in NE PA in monroe county.

Area amateur radio clubs will join forces at Big Pocono State Park for the annual field day exercises under the auspices of the Amateur Radio Relay League.

The Pocono Amateur Radio Klub and the Eastern Pennsylvania Amateur Radio Association will be demonstrating their ability to set up, operate and communicate with other stations across the United States, Canada and Mexico.

Using alternate sources of power such as solar, battery, generator and with emergency antennas the Hams will be "on the air" for 24 hours from 1 p.m. on Saturday to 1 p.m. on Sunday.

Amateurs all over the country will be participating," said Walt Koreb. "We will be able to set up emergency equipment and communicate with others to be sure that our radios will be ready for any communication break down."

This weekend is designed to test the ability for amateurs to transmit emergency traffic to other parts of the country under adverse conditions. All antennas, radios, feed lines and sources of power other than normal will be tested and used for the 24-hour session.

The public is invited to see Hams in action during the weekend and also to be a part of the drill. A 'Get On The Air' station will be set up for the public and a licensed Ham will be at the radio to assist them in making contacts all over the nation.

John Ciccolella said, "It is a good way for people to experience what we do in an emergency without having to deal with the hardships of a weather or Homeland Security issue."

The event will be set up by the main parking lot.
W3ZR
mons pubis expeditionary force-moderator

Post by W3ZR »

Have a good time, Say hi to Dave Haney for me if he is there.
Rock On !

Bob, W3ZR/VE3SXZ
VE9MP
98247E-011480-1

Post by VE9MP »

I was planning on going to FD for the first time tomorrow, I asked one of the local OM's if there were any positions available for any HF bands...

He asks me: "Well, have ya ever worked a pile up before?"

Me: "Yeah, I worked pileups, 2 days ago I worked a Car versus Moose with 1 fatality and 2 criticals..."

He gives me a dirty look and says that everyone has been taken.

Guess I'll justhave to work and make money instead.
Nick
n3jfw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by n3jfw »

oh that's crap

those position are suppossed to be open

I'd show up and want to operate-then when they turn you down-they get outed bigtime

that's a load of crap
VE9MP
98247E-011480-1

Post by VE9MP »

Yeah, I guess they had it in for me since the time I made fun of them on 2 meters...

Frell those old men, I'm prolly gonna go with a different club if I have time...
Nick
VE9MP
98247E-011480-1

Post by VE9MP »

Hmmm....

Made a phone call, and I was told by another guy to come right out if I had time and that I could participat no prob..

Stupid hams

:road warrior:
Nick
kb9khf
98245C-001400-5

Post by kb9khf »

I'm gonna go do FD for the first time also. But its with a friend and his cousin. The club we belong to doesn't believe that it should be any fun. So we are having our own FD, taking our beers, hot dogs, and marshmallows and going to a rural park.

Why do the OF's see the need to suck the fun out of a HOBBY.
VE6HBD
Administrator - Formerly VE3HBD

Post by VE6HBD »

Ham radio is not a hobby, it's serious business.

Man, that needs to be on a shirt...
va3wxm
98247E-011480-1

Post by va3wxm »

Our club's running an 8A (or 9A?) station. Spent the morning helping them set up. My group (20 SSB) is running a Sigma 5 vertical this year for a change. It seemed to hear okay when I tested it earlier.
motorola_otaku
Cock Block

Post by motorola_otaku »

I'm skipping Field Day to put the final touches on my mobile install. I've grown to greatly dislike HF contesting, so it's no big loss.
And the sign says you got to have a membership card to get inside.
VE9MP
98247E-011480-1

Post by VE9MP »

The CVPI? Do we get pics later? :baby:
Nick
kc8owl
MOT1

Post by kc8owl »

I have pretty much written-off any field day activity for about the rest of my life bunny ... Way to many times I have seen the 'all business' hams suck the fun right out of it because they made it such a project.

Also, I really have to laugh when the pro-ARRL types carry on with the 'when all else fails .... :vestman: ' crap - I know that if the situation ever comes along where I may be in a position to introduce a public service agency to amateur radio, I won't be doing it from inside some hot smelly tent in the middle of a bug infested field somewhere :-)

Happy Field Day
Hamsexy .... It's more than just a look
Thanks .... Mike KC8OWL
KC8RYW

Post by KC8RYW »

First field day expierence ever here. :vestman:

I played 'computer logging :pussy:' for an OM operating on 20 meters who made it serious business. That got old fast.

Another OM set up a 6 meter sideband station, so I made some contacts on that for a while... COOL. I never operated on 6 meters NOR sideband, so that was cool. It seems the trick to making contacts is to shout and key up quick. :ham: But I got sick of it after a while.

Later, I hung out with two guys who were setting up an APRS station. I kicked back and shot the :fudge toast: talking with them.

Then I took over as 'computer logging :pussy:' for the 20 meter OM again. Eventually, I got bored and left.

I now have a little interest in looking into a cheap sideband rig and playing on 2m or 6m sideband in the coming future. So it wasn't all in vain.

I'm just not a big fan of the 'quickie :hump: ' contest QSO. Nothing wrong with a little rag chew.
BLOCKHEAD
14249C-000400-0

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

RYW, I feel your pain...I didn't go out and spend almost two grand on HF equipment to just say "You're 5-9, thanks for the contact!"

:not worthy: :not worthy: :vestman: :vestman:

Mayor Mike, you ARE a douche!
kb9khf
98245C-001400-5

Post by kb9khf »

I had a most excellent time. I was working with KA9 Old Yaesu Radio. Funny thing is we were an all-Icom station.

My 251 died about 10 minutes after setting up. One contact and that was it. So I got to play with the HF rigs for awhile. We were having a good time more than really trying.

I worked a couple of very powerful ME stations on 20, and an NE on 40. There was a 22 operator affair from DC that we worked up on every band we used.
n3jfw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by n3jfw »

kb9khf wrote: I worked a couple of very powerful ME stations on 20, and an NE on 40. There was a 22 operator affair from DC that we worked up on every band we used.
W3AO 22A

I worked them on 2m when doing the 1D thign fromt he car.

Hey did any of you work KA3RZK on 10 meters?

He said he worked a few people...
W3ZR
mons pubis expeditionary force-moderator

Post by W3ZR »

I worked on station on 40 meters on my way home from work this
morning, so I did my part . :baby:

I did see my "homeboys" of the Murgas Amateur Radio Club
on WNEP-16 this morning live from Luzerne County, PA !

They need to get the 2 or 3 MILF's we have on the tube rather
than guys who resemble me ! :vestman:
Rock On !

Bob, W3ZR/VE3SXZ
tvsjr
Moderator - Dayton 2006/2007 Supporter

Post by tvsjr »

Did anyone work W5R or N5R?

W5R was a 3A station on 10/15/20/40/80/160 at various times... from the dining hall of the Texas State Railroad. We were running two IC-756PRO3s + dipole/vertical, one IC-7800/SteppIR (pimpin!), an IC-910 (satellite), and another 756PRO3 for GOTA.

N5R was a 2C station "Railroad Mobile" from the caboose of the train, at some times rolling down the tracks. Two IC-7000s into verticals with tuners.

Pretty cool stuff...
KC8RYW

Post by KC8RYW »

When you said "Railroad Mobile" this instantly popped into my head:

:ham:
tvsjr
Moderator - Dayton 2006/2007 Supporter

Post by tvsjr »

KC8RYW wrote:When you said "Railroad Mobile" this instantly popped into my head:
Negative. Think a caboose, normally not run on the train, coupled up to the normal passenger cars. Two stations, headset setups, big batteries installed to run everything, two verticals installed, etc.

Here's our ride, from FD '05. Yes, it's occupied solely by we Hamsexy bastards:
http://216.130.244.37/main.php?g2_view= ... itemId=581

Here's one of the stations from FD '05, with me yammering away on the mic:
http://216.130.244.37/main.php?g2_view= ... itemId=611

Oh, and a couple of us operated VHF mobile from Old 300, a 1917 2-8-0 Baldwin steam engine:
http://216.130.244.37/main.php?g2_view= ... itemId=146

We'll have the FD06 media online here in the not-too-distant future. I'll post the link then.

ObPlug: Those of you who are Texans (WYU, otaku, Phil, ya'll listening?), or happen to be interested, please look here: http://www.texasstaterailroad.com/newsandevents.html and click on the big yellow box. At this point, it looks like 1/1/07 will see the railroad losing 48 employees, and it will be converted from an active, rolling railroad to a static display. A great loss in my opinion...
kb9khf
98245C-001400-5

Post by kb9khf »

n3jfw wrote:
kb9khf wrote: I worked a couple of very powerful ME stations on 20, and an NE on 40. There was a 22 operator affair from DC that we worked up on every band we used.
W3AO 22A

I worked them on 2m when doing the 1D thign fromt he car.

That's the one. 1D from the car??? Run an extension cord out there did ya???? D is commerical power, correct???

We made about 30 contacts on 10m in the first hour, all east coast stations. Then it just went poof. When I went home at 8pm local, 40m had swung around the southern coast, from North FL to solid SDG. and 20m was hot to TX, and AR.
n3jfw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by n3jfw »

hmm

oops