HamCom 2007 - Plano, TX

A place to post info about local hamfests.

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

motorola_otaku
Cock Block

HamCom 2007 - Plano, TX

Post by motorola_otaku »

June 8-9
Plano Centre
2000 East Spring Creek Parkway
http://www.hamcom.org

Figured I'd go ahead and get the ball rolling since it's put-in-request-for-vacation-time season. Thankfully it's not the same weekend as A-Kon for a change.

We gonna do dinner on Friday night again?
Victor Xray
DAYTON 2006/2007 SUPPORTER

Post by Victor Xray »

Yup, I'm game for dinner.

I'll have my usual indoor table; although I'm planning to take less to sell so that I can actually attend a couple of forums, mainly D-STAR.
There's nothing more permanent than a temporary solution.
tvsjr
Moderator - Dayton 2006/2007 Supporter

Post by tvsjr »

I'll most likely be there. I'm down for dinner as well. No misbehaving if I bring the wimmins along... she just got her ticket.
motorola_otaku
Cock Block

Post by motorola_otaku »

Any chance we can bump dinner up to Saturday night? Looks like I won't be making it up there until late Friday.
And the sign says you got to have a membership card to get inside.
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

Funneh you should ask --- Saturday is much better for me too (got family plans Fri night)

Others good for Saturday too? We can meet up earlier too since I'm sure most of the good forums will be done by mid-late afternoon.
n0xmz
98247E-011400-8
What radios do you own?: IC-725, IC-706MK2G, IC-207, /\/\ Spectra 900 x 2, IC-T7H.

Post by n0xmz »

Sat. works for me. I propose we designate a simplex freq. and a repeater (backup) to meet on.

I hate how these damn things start on Fridays. I'll be there on Sat.
www.n0xmz.com
www.scottbomb.com
kd5wyu
102480-000000-3

Post by kd5wyu »

I'm not sure if I am going or not yet, gotta see how many days off I've got left first.

Silly work gets in the way too damn much lately (grumble) though I could do a lunch and just zoom down 75 and make it into work.

VX, you'll probably like Dstar. No, it's not Motosexy but if you can overlook that it's got a lot of cool things going for it. I don't know if its better or worse than P25, but it does do some stuff (especially on the data side of things) that P25 gear doesn't.

The other good thing is that there are excellent repeaters already up and running.

There is a full Dstar setup on the kick ass B of A site in Dallas.

There are also Dstar repeaters in Mesquite (supposedly),
a 1.2 gig data and voice site in Allen
and a full setup in Denton
(if we can ever get the money from the state to get the antennas put up on the tower at the county EOC that is, grr!)

As for freqs, what we used in the past works pretty well. (BW1/2 and 442.400+) Might want to do a Dstar simplex too though I don't think anyone else here besides tvsjr and myself have Dstar gear. Hopefully that'll change.

-b-
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

Thanks Brent; BTW, good working with you again this past weekend :ham:

I agree with the contact channels:
On-site, BW1 (146.495 67.0/$293)
Off-site, W5MAY's machine 442.400+ 110.9

Here are the forums I'll be attending:

An Overview of Project 25 - The Digital Standard for Public Safety Radios
This presentation will give the audience an overview of the Project 25 Digital Standard for Public Safety Radios. This will include a historical discussion of Project 25, a technical overview of Project 25, and finally a discussion of Project 25 today.

Public Safety Communications and Interoperability
This discussion includes information about currently used radio communications systems within the North Central Texas region. This will include types of various trunking systems, conventional systems, and others in use presently. The discussion will then move to interoperability and how the North Central Texas region is tackling the job of interoperability across the region. This will include discussions on radio caches, console patching, gateways, shared systems, and shared channels.

D-STAR 2007 - The State of the System
D-STAR technology is getting a lot of attention for use in both daily amateur communications, and in preparation for emergency communications. This forum will discuss the current status of the overall DSTAR network worldwide, and some of the things that are happening with the technology. We'll talk about where we've been, where we are, and where we're going. There will be information on D-STAR systems around the country and around the world, as well as on local systems.

Alabama D-STAR and EmComm applications
Digital Smart Technology for Amateur Radio, D-STAR is a new digital voice and data communications technology for amateur radio. Alabama has become the Nation wide leader for D-STAR repeater systems, users and activity.This forum will review D-STAR and Alabama's mission, systems and success in this new digital technology.

Narrowband Digital Repeaters and Amateur Radio Spectrum Resources
Hosted by Craig Green KV5E (Hamsexy member!)
An open discussion of emerging narrowband digital repeater technologies available to the Amateur Radio spectrum, and the spectrum efficiencies that may be leveraged in crowded metropolitan areas where repeater pairs are challenging to obtain. There will be panel participants from various coordination bodies within the United States present to discuss the emerging technical standards and possible "best practices" going forward that may be leveraged to provide better stewardship of Amateur Radio Spectrum Resources.

More info in the HamCom flyer
motorola_otaku
Cock Block

Post by motorola_otaku »

Victor Xray wrote: I agree with the contact channels:
On-site, BW1 (146.495 67.0/$293)
Off-site, W5MAY's machine 442.400+ 110.9
I'll go ahead and add Batlabs Green to that:

Code: Select all

MURS/GREEN      151.8800    143   IMBE DCSQ (primary) analog w/dpl 143 Secondary)
Now that I can actually work a keyloader, I'll be IMBE/OFB on there. PM me or tvsjr for the key.
motorola_otaku
Cock Block

Post by motorola_otaku »

One week to go. I leave Friday evening after work and I'll be there bright and (somewhat) early Saturday morning, on all the relevant frequencies in all the relevant modes.

Sat. night dinner still a go? BJ's, Bone Daddy's, or you guys wanna go for something else?
blugu64
102490-000000-1

Post by blugu64 »

You guys mind if a newcomer tags along? Just got my license a few weeks ago, and I'll be going to a few of the seminars. Hopefully I'll walk out with a shiny new(to me perhaps) HF radio.
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

Welcome n00bie! We'd love to have you join us for dinner. Our hazing only makes you cry for a little while. :baby:

I'm game for wherever on Saturday - BJs, Bone Daddys or Hooters, or Twin Peaks (however, I'm sure that place will be packed since it just opened). I count dinner interest from
me
Josh
Scott
Terry
the N00bie
Anyone else? Brent you coming for sure or not?
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

I'm indifferent about BJs... it was pretty good food, but fooking expensive. I think VX is correct about Twin Peaks. Bone Daddy's wouldn't be bad... what else is in the area? Far enough away to evade the Hamsexy OMF (that's old man funk for you n00bs) would be good.

Hamsexy comms on VHF only for me... BW1 or BL Green, IMBE. Go digital or go home.
motorola_otaku
Cock Block

Post by motorola_otaku »

I'll go with whatever venue the locals pick, but personally I'm all for sticking with what you know when it comes to hosting a group. Reasonably-priced is always good, but isn't the entire Richardson/Plano area pretty much synonymous with expensive anyway? :baby:
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

OK then I vote Hooters or Bone Daddy's (which ain't that much cheaper than BJs, but meh, Terry thinks he's broke) :cheeseandwhine:

I saw Mark (mam1081) over on RR mention he was attending HC; perhaps he'll join us too.

Anyone else? Oh and I'm all for carrying one radio too, so VHF it is.
kd5wyu
102480-000000-3

Post by kd5wyu »

What huh? Oh, yeah. Hamcom. Durrr.

I'll be out there pretty much all day Saturday.

No IMBE for me yet. :cheeseandwhine:

Best I can get is the cheap hamsexy imitation. at least I can monitor two freqs at once.

I do want to trade in my Jedis for some kit that speaka da P-25 pretty soon though.
Especially now that the Department of Public Hazards has turned on their new shiny extremely annoying 12B buzzsaw.

If BJ's is the same as BJ's we have here in Loserville then the beer there is better, but Bone Daddys has better :pussy: so, meh, flip a coin I guess. Doesn't matter to me anyway.

-b
escomm
professor of rectalingus

Post by escomm »

if motorola otaku shows up dressed like a girl there better be at least two flash chips full of pictures
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

I'll get an upskirt photo just for you Jeff :baby:
n0xmz
98247E-011400-8
What radios do you own?: IC-725, IC-706MK2G, IC-207, /\/\ Spectra 900 x 2, IC-T7H.

Post by n0xmz »

So shall we finalize dinner plans for Sat. now or just meet up at the 'fest in Plano and take it from there? If we wait until Sat. to decide on a restaurant, then we need to all agree to monitor the regular ham freqs. 146.495 67.0 and/or 442.400+ 110.9. I know some of you guys like your digital comms but that's not going to help those of us who use FM analog.
motorola_otaku
Cock Block

Post by motorola_otaku »

I vote 8:00 PM at Bone Daddy's. All in favor, say aye.
n0xmz wrote:I know some of you guys like your digital comms but that's not going to help those of us who use FM analog.
I run mixed-mode. If I hear someone calling in analog, I'll switch over.
n0xmz
98247E-011400-8

Post by n0xmz »

Aye.
www.n0xmz.com
www.scottbomb.com
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

I dunno if I'll stick around that late. Depends on what the g/f wants to do, if she comes along, etc. I'll play it by ear.

And, yes, I'll run mix-mode too.
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

OK 7:30 then so Terry can go to bed early. :cheeseandwhine:

7:30 @ Bone Daddy's in Richardson. Cool wit'chall?
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Eh, don't worry about me. I suspect I won't be around.
blugu64
102490-000000-1

Post by blugu64 »

Sounds fine with me.
motorola_otaku
Cock Block

Post by motorola_otaku »

Victor Xray wrote:7:30 @ Bone Daddy's in Richardson. Cool wit'chall?
Cool wit' me.
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

7:30pm. Saturday. Bone Daddy's. Done.

Looks like it's just us 5 (Jonathan, Josh, Scott, Brent, n00b) unless someone else speaks up here or finds me in the flea market.

See y'all inside. My table should be pretty easy to find -- the only one with ASTRO25 products and other overpriced Motorola gear :baby:
motorola_otaku
Cock Block

Post by motorola_otaku »

Victor Xray wrote:and other overpriced Motorola gear :baby:
Well, at least you're honest about it. :baby:
blugu64
102490-000000-1

Post by blugu64 »

Well guys as Murphy would have it, it doesn't look like I'll be able to make it this weekend. The car broke down a couple days ago, and my mechanic can't seem to get the timing belt properly installed. Either way I'll post here if it turns out I can make it; but sadly I'm not hopeful.
kd5wyu
102480-000000-3

Post by kd5wyu »

I just now noticed that the Dstar users group meeting starts at 6 PM.

Any way we can back dinner up to 5 now so I can go to that?

If not thats OK.
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

Nah just come late. I'll still be drinking heavily.

N00b, we'll catch you next time. Stay tuned for details

VX, reporting live from HamCom 2007 with free wi-fi!
motorola_otaku
Cock Block

Post by motorola_otaku »

Victor Xray wrote:Nah just come late. I'll still be drinking heavily.[/i]
If anyone will be needing designated driver services, speak up now.. so I can put the partition back in before I leave. :wacker: :baby:
va3wxm
98247E-011480-1

Post by va3wxm »

motorola_otaku wrote:If anyone will be needing designated driver services, speak up now.. so I can put the partition back in before I leave. :wacker: :baby:
Oooh, that's cold! :baby:
n0xmz
98247E-011400-8

Post by n0xmz »

blugu64 wrote:Well guys as Murphy would have it, it doesn't look like I'll be able to make it this weekend. The car broke down a couple days ago, and my mechanic can't seem to get the timing belt properly installed. Either way I'll post here if it turns out I can make it; but sadly I'm not hopeful.
Now that's a lousy excuse. Heard of DART? If you like, I can pick your sorry ass up. You are in the metromess, right? I think I'll be headed to the 'fest in the morning some time. :baby:
kv5e

HamCom

Post by kv5e »

VX, tvsjr, et al, Great to see you all in Plano and while it was not quite as bad as previous years there was still some annealed and case-hardened bromodrosis at the PCC! :baby:

kv5e