Hall of Science ARC in Queens, 6/10 (sorry, big)

A place to post info about local hamfests.

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

n3wrx
142490-000000-7

Hall of Science ARC in Queens, 6/10 (sorry, big)

Post by n3wrx »

Hall of Science ARC in Queens is having a fest on Sunday, 6/10. Anyone in the NYC 'hood going?

KC8RYW

Post by KC8RYW »

What program / OS are those screen captures from? :baby:
alex
Dayton 2007 Supporter

Post by alex »

Looks like Unix or Java based PDF style viewer.

I may go... depends on level of motivation and desire to pay $14 worth of tolls :)
Jon

Post by Jon »

I may go.

UHF astro anyone?

I have 462.575 IMBE.
ElPolloDiablo
142490-000000-7

Post by ElPolloDiablo »

i haven't been to that fest since I was little and the 8-bit Nintendo was the shit. I picked up a whole box of games for about $10. I would go, but I have to work.
KB1JHU
Charlie 2, be advised, the vehicle you are looking for is the one smashed and on fire on Success Avenue.
Take a shit, you'll feel better.
Jon

Post by Jon »

never mind.. just realized that I have an event around here i need to attend. disreguard my previous post.
alex
Dayton 2007 Supporter

Post by alex »

Is it worth going? Is it a decent size fest? I thought about going last year, but skipped out IIRC...

Of course digital will be used :)

-Alex
n3wrx
142490-000000-7

Post by n3wrx »

KC8RYW wrote:What program / OS are those screen captures from? :baby:
xpdf(1), version 2.03 on Fedora Core 1 (Yarrow). Long overdue for an upgrade, but am waiting for the boss to push through some desktop hardware upgrades (I've been running this for years).

I love Linux - use it as much as I can, though Visio and other things make VMWare, Xen or WINE a necessity. :P
n3wrx
142490-000000-7

Post by n3wrx »

alex wrote:Is it worth going? Is it a decent size fest? I thought about going last year, but skipped out IIRC...

Of course digital will be used :)

-Alex
I think it may be. I have never been, but it generates quite a bit of buzz every year. A lot of guys who don't go to many other 'fests apparently go to this one. No guarantees, but I'm thinking by virtue of it being in the city, where the density of both commercial equipment and interesting characters would make it a possibility.

My YL's father is in town from Beijing, so I gotta see about a girl, but if we can wrangle a combo-Chinatown type event for the day, it may work out. Chances: greater than even.
n3wrx
142490-000000-7

Post by n3wrx »

n3wrx wrote:
alex wrote: Of course digital will be used :)

-Alex
Excellent. I am maxtrac and ht1250 at the moment, no digi-capability. Course, if there's some good shizzle there, I may leave the 'fest with the capability.

I'm most interested in 33cm gear or maybe a UHF maxtrac. Power supplies, stuff like that.
richard
DAYTON 2006/2007 SUPPORTER

Post by richard »

It's not very big, but I have fun going to this one.
I actually belonged to this club when I lived in Queens, most of them are really good guys.

In fact, this is the hamfest where I walked in and got my US ticket.

Alex, if you want to go, I'll go with you. Send me a PIN, we'll work out the details.

For anyone else who'd like to come, we'll be on one of the Hamsexy Astro channels (Green?)
alex
Dayton 2007 Supporter

Post by alex »

Heh - I left you a VM about it this AM Richard - I think I was supposed to meet up with you last year for it, and slacked off.

Regardless, it looks like I'll take a ride out there.

I can do astro on U or V, so I could care less what we use.

Green would work fine with me. I'll pin ya.

-Alex
richard
DAYTON 2006/2007 SUPPORTER

Post by richard »

alex wrote:Heh - I left you a VM about it this AM Richard - I think I was supposed to meet up with you last year for it, and slacked off.

Regardless, it looks like I'll take a ride out there.

I can do astro on U or V, so I could care less what we use.

Green would work fine with me. I'll pin ya.

-Alex
Message received. That's a big 10-4, good buddy.
alex
Dayton 2007 Supporter

Post by alex »

See ya all tomorrow... Probably will be sporting the Dayton 07 T-Shirt... I think it's clean at least.

151.88 IMBE :)

-Alex
n3wrx
142490-000000-7

Post by n3wrx »

alex wrote:See ya all tomorrow... Probably will be sporting the Dayton 07 T-Shirt... I think it's clean at least.

151.88 IMBE :)

-Alex
Didn't see you guys there, probably got my lazy ass there too late. Mark had a decent motorola table there as usual. Good smathering of local guys there - pretty decent turnout!

<rant about the usual hamfest bullsh*t follows>

Only thing that drove me nuts were the "parking nazis" - "don't park there!" "don't park there either!!!" "ARE YOU CRAZY? DON'T PARK THERE!!!" ok, where the @#$#@$ do you want me to park? "over there... NO NOT THERE!!!"

aw, GO @#$@#$ YOURSELF AND LET ME GET TO MY NERDFEST, ALL RIGHT?? Jesus Please us... no one's gonna die if I'm not +/- 3mm from my assigned parking space.

</end rand about the usual hamfest bullsh*t>
dxon2m
H49TGD9PW1AN

Post by dxon2m »

<rant about the usual hamfest bullsh*t follows>

Only thing that drove me nuts were the "parking nazis" - "don't park there!" "don't park there either!!!" "ARE YOU CRAZY? DON'T PARK THERE!!!" ok, where the @#$#@$ do you want me to park? "over there... NO NOT THERE!!!"

aw, GO @#$@#$ YOURSELF AND LET ME GET TO MY NERDFEST, ALL RIGHT?? Jesus Please us... no one's gonna die if I'm not +/- 3mm from my assigned parking space.

</end rand about the usual hamfest bullsh*t>
[rant]
Too bad that seems to be the tradition with the past HOSARC hamfest. I used to be the gate ticket guy and various "officers" told us to direct cars here and not there, each with a different mindset.
[/rant]

Anyway I was there as well, Asian male with a MTS2000 VHF. It was a pretty good one, anyway picked up those $200 Astro Sabers?
n3wrx
142490-000000-7

Post by n3wrx »

dxon2m wrote: [rant]
Too bad that seems to be the tradition with the past HOSARC hamfest. I used to be the gate ticket guy and various "officers" told us to direct cars here and not there, each with a different mindset.
[/rant]

Anyway I was there as well, Asian male with a MTS2000 VHF. It was a pretty good one, anyway picked up those $200 Astro Sabers?
I was the white 30-something guy who showed up at 12:30 with YL and her dad in tow, talked with Uncle Louie (WB2JBG), Chris (N1YNO), and others (took a pic or two and put 'em up on the KQ2H Yahoo! group). Mark had a good day - I bought an EX600 and a Radius P200 10m portable. Programming cable is on the way from fleabay for the 600, will start looking for some extra batteries for both soon. Real happy with both radios so far, though the 10m is useless in the house.

I saw the Sabers on the table, but I don't recall Mark being able to tell me much about them - also, they were missing everything - no antennas, batteries, nothing.

I was tempted to pick up a 220MHz HT1000 he had there - and the VHF, and hell, the whole table. But ya gotta draw the line somewhere. :baby:
alex
Dayton 2007 Supporter

Post by alex »

We were gone by 11ish.

Not a lot to see... I saw the EX600 you were speaking of, R split I believe. If it were an S-Split, I may have given it more consideration. He had an HT1000 as well, but wanted too much for it.

It wasn't a bad hamfest in retrospect, more M gear that I actually expected. I may hit MIT on sunday since I'll be up in beantown.

I saw most of the M fans who wander the hamfests there - so that was amusing.

-Alex
n3wrx
142490-000000-7

Post by n3wrx »

alex wrote:We were gone by 11ish.

Not a lot to see... I saw the EX600 you were speaking of, R split I believe. If it were an S-Split, I may have given it more consideration. He had an HT1000 as well, but wanted too much for it.

It wasn't a bad hamfest in retrospect, more M gear that I actually expected. I may hit MIT on sunday since I'll be up in beantown.

I saw most of the M fans who wander the hamfests there - so that was amusing.

-Alex
Yeah, I paid too much. But I guess I'm willing to pay for instant gratification. I know R split is 430 to 470... what is s split? It covers a higher range, I assume?

I'd like to get a '1000, but he wanted something like 250 for the 220 - nah, too much. I might pay that for a good VHF with lots of channels, a keypad, in good shape, etc.

Did you see any HS people there? I don't know what anyone looks like.
alex
Dayton 2007 Supporter

Post by alex »

Hamsexy folks? Richard was supposed to show up, but he slept through his alarm clock. Bastard.

Other than that, I saw a lot of people that I bump in to at Dayton or at other hamfests and such, but no one else that I recognized as being on the site, but then again, I don't know everyone.

I was still surprised to see some astro stuff and commercial gear being sold there, I wasn't sure what to expect.

I would have stayed longer, however, I wasn't really all that motivated to walk around and look at the same crap again and again, it was just a small fest.

I may go to MIT on Sunday, but I don't really know yet.

S-Split is 450-512/520.