RAM mounts?

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

K0KDS
14249C-000400-0

RAM mounts?

Post by K0KDS »

Does anyone have any experience with RAM mounts? I'm not happy with my current setup so I'm looking into maybe using a RAM POD-I, the flexible one-leg thing. I'm just looking to mount a Uniden RH-96 control head, a control head for an Icom 800H, and then something to hold either my smartphone with OtterBox on it or a Motorola DTR handheld. So overall not a very heavy load. I search for something on RAM Mount's website and I always get no less than 50 pages of results. I'm sure I can make this work between some RAM parts and parts from the hardware store. There's actually not much room for me to to a proper RAM Mount non-flexible pole on the passenger's side. It's a 2011 Jeep Patriot. All of the transmitters are already under the passenger's seat. Any input or suggestions on the RAM mounts?
Mong
9A247E-211493-9

Re: RAM mounts?

Post by Mong »

I rigged up a few radios with some RAM stuff. They have different size balls <heh> in either rubber-coated steel or plastic.

I even have a few generic laptop mounts sitting in my garage (cheap eghey buy).
I'll take a warm midget fart over a cold beer any day
motorola_otaku
Cock Block

Post by motorola_otaku »

Like this? Boy they sure fucked you putting the damn shifter in the middle of everything. And people wonder why I stick to fleet vehicles.

RH96 goes on the dash above the air vents with wiring concealed behind the trim piece, the ID-800H goes in that little pocket of space between the shifter and the e-brake, and the DTR550 goes in a cellular cradle on the right-hand side of the entertainment/navigation display. That's how I'd (try to) do it, anyway.
And the sign says you got to have a membership card to get inside.
K0KDS
14249C-000400-0

Post by K0KDS »

motorola_otaku wrote:Like this? Boy they sure fucked you putting the damn shifter in the middle of everything. And people wonder why I stick to fleet vehicles.

RH96 goes on the dash above the air vents with wiring concealed behind the trim piece, the ID-800H goes in that little pocket of space between the shifter and the e-brake, and the DTR550 goes in a cellular cradle on the right-hand side of the entertainment/navigation display. That's how I'd (try to) do it, anyway.
Here's my current setup:

I don't like the current setup because it's just ouside of my arm span... I have to reach to spin the knobs or touch buttons. If it was closer to me then I could just do it all by touch while keeping my eyes on the road. Plus, it takes up precious cubby space the way it is now, and it looks pretty ghetto, imho. I don't like using velcro.

The local PD, surprisingly enough, has at least one Patriot in their fleet and they just bolted a radio to the side of the shifter console. No thanks.

I sure was spoiled with my last car, a 2004 Impala. Had a full console, and I regret never using it to its full potential.
Jay911
102490-000000-1

Post by Jay911 »

I had a POD I in my car for a year or so with my netbook on it (APRS/GPS/trunk system analysis/music/etc), til I decided having a netbook held up in plain sight would be detrimental to not having my car broken into and not getting hassled by cops about distracted driving. That and the weight of the netbook seemed to be too much for the bar of the POD I mount - even as tight as possible, with or without a "pilot hole" drilled in the bottom of the rod, the set screw on the bottom would either loosen up or dig through the soft metal of the rod and let it all flop over to one side or the other.

I suppose maybe I was overloading it. They used to make a POD III (maybe they still do) that mounts to BOTH seat bolts and has a third leg that presumably you prop against the floorboard up front under your glove box.
--j.
VE6SRT
Jay911
102490-000000-1

Post by Jay911 »

Meant to add in that last paragraph - just an RH96 head and another control head and a smartphone holder, I would imagine the POD I is more than strong enough.
--j.
VE6SRT