VX-6R

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

KC8RYW

VX-6R

Post by KC8RYW »

Anyone have one?

Is the SMA antenna like the VX-5R, or is it re-inforced like the VX150 / FT-60?
KC8RYW

Post by KC8RYW »

???

I'm sure one of you :ham: on here have one.
Mong
9A247E-211493-9

Post by Mong »

Sorry, I don't know anyone who even owns one. It seems when someone wants to spend more than the FT60, they jump all the way to the 7R.
KC8RYW

Post by KC8RYW »

Let me explain my thought process outloud so you know where I'm coming from, OK?

I'm looking at using it for monitoring the audio of a UHF TV station. Basically, so I can wander away for a second at work and be able to tell everything is going OK (at least audio-wise.) Maybe even use headphones. I tried using one of my scanners, but obviously WFM doesn't monitor well with a NFM scanner. Very distorted; No good.

I know the recovered audio in WFM on the VX-5R quite frankly sucked. No low frequency response at all -- even using the jack on the side. The VX-5R also featured the world's least durable SMA that breaks. Don't get me started on that.

I was thinking of perhaps getting a Yaesu VR-120D or an Icom R5. But they both lack any sort of useful direct-entry keypad. WTF, Over. Not to mention they cost $200 and all they do is receive.

So, I thought, the VX-6R doesn't look so bad. It does the same thing these other radios do, costs a few bucks more AND I can use it to talk to the hammies. The downside is -- there is no 1/8" headphone jack. And I'll have to fumble with an adapter to plug in my headphones since Yaesu seems to have a hard-on for the 4-pin 1/8" jack. Whatever happened to twin-pins?

The VX-6R looks like a good radio. It does 2m/220/70cm, while the VX-7R does 6m/2m/70cm. 6 meters is useless portable, at least around here. There is a 220 machine in town and I'd like to play with it as I've never used 220 before.

A friend suggested the FT-60. I've had an FT-60 before and it was just 'OK'. It had a solid SMA connector, but it's audio sucked. The volume knob might as well had been labeled the distortion knob. That, and it doesn't receive WFM so it's useless as far as I'm concerned. And I got sick of it dieing in the middle of a QSO because it has no low-battery beep or indicator.

Ideas?
exkalibur
98247E-011480-1

Post by exkalibur »

Since when did your FT-60 not have a low battery indicator? Mine has a flashing battery symbol, MTS2000 style.

The VX-6R is a DAMN nice radio. Honestly, I'm kicking myself for buying the FT60 so soon (I got it the day after it came out), I would much rather have waiting awhile and got the 6R.
[01:12] Seth: hey
[01:13] Seth: what do you use for a sore anus?
[01:14] exkalibur: more lube?
KC8RYW

Post by KC8RYW »

exkalibur wrote:Since when did your FT-60 not have a low battery indicator? Mine has a flashing battery symbol, MTS2000 style.

The VX-6R is a DAMN nice radio. Honestly, I'm kicking myself for buying the FT60 so soon (I got it the day after it came out), I would much rather have waiting awhile and got the 6R.
I don't want to sound like Alberto Gonzales, but “I Don’t Recall.”

I traded it two years ago for a HT1250 UHF. Tell me you wouldn't do that deal? :ham:
v33

Post by v33 »

I just picked up a VX-6R the other day, primarily for the extended receive. As previously mentioned, it's almost the same cost as the scanners made by the hammie companies.

The connector is hidden by a rubber gasket and I haven't had a look under it, it didn't want to just pop right off. FWIW I have researched this radio previously and seem to recall reading that it did have a reinforced connector. Certainly feels like a very solid radio.
webdoc
98247E-011480-1

Post by webdoc »

v33 wrote:I just picked up a VX-6R the other day, primarily for the extended receive. As previously mentioned, it's almost the same cost as the scanners made by the hammie companies.

The connector is hidden by a rubber gasket and I haven't had a look under it, it didn't want to just pop right off. FWIW I have researched this radio previously and seem to recall reading that it did have a reinforced connector. Certainly feels like a very solid radio.
I have one, bought it while down south on the hurricane operations, has been a very sturdy radio, survived bouncing around in a semi while I was driving from ARC warehouse to ARC warehouse, survived falling out of said semi several times. and has survived bouncing around in my POV when I was using it as my mobile rig when my FT-2800 was borked.

I used it in my vehicle using a SMA - UHF connector to hook up to my 2m antenna on my van.
KC8TCQ
Ric Burney wrote:Considering July 4th food, July 5th should be celebrated as National Ass Honk Day.
v33

Post by v33 »

Looking at a picture in the brochure for the radio, it shows the front cover removed and the antenna connection is through the back of the chassis which is solid aluminum. Sorry I can't provide a more concrete response to the original question.
exkalibur
98247E-011480-1

Post by exkalibur »

KC8RYW wrote: I traded it two years ago for a HT1250 UHF. Tell me you wouldn't do that deal? :ham:
I wouldn't do that deal.

:)

I've already got a GP380 - the last thing I need is another damn UHF portable.
[01:12] Seth: hey
[01:13] Seth: what do you use for a sore anus?
[01:14] exkalibur: more lube?