Kenwood on Echolink

Discussion of internet radio linking, and other similar things.

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

tomxp411

Kenwood on Echolink

Post by tomxp411 »

Hello, Hamsexuals! This is my first post here, and I wanted to start with something that would be sure to get me flamed on that other site where everyone seems to hate Echolink....

I was perusing the Kenwood D710 manual, reading about how it supports Echolink and APRS, and I stumbled on an interesting paragraph. It went something like this:
"Echolink supports the idea of a fixed number for each node. APRS supports locating a mobile operator by callsign." Keep in mind that this radio was specifically designed for both, with an Echolink dialing system and a built-in APRS option... "Further integration of the two would allow radio users to locate each other by callsign, like a ham cell phone."

I just about died when I heard this. A ham CELL PHONE! That would be pretty amazing: pop your microphone off the holder, tap in your friend's call sign, and a server somewhere looks up his last APRS report, finds the closest Echolink node. The digipeater that took the APRS report shoots out a signal to the guy's radio and it RINGS. He presses a button on his mic, and the two radios connect via the closest Echolink nodes (assuming they're not already in use by someone else.)

And all of that costs the casual user ZERO dollars and ZERO cents. (Although the heavy user would be morally obligated to contribute to his local amateur club to help fund the local digipeater, Echolink node, and repeater.)

What do you guys think about that?
Never give up. Never surrender.