IRLP and Vonage

Discussion of internet radio linking, and other similar things.

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

wb4bsd

IRLP and Vonage

Post by wb4bsd »

Is anyone using Vonage on the same highspeed network as thier IRLP node?

I have heard that neither uses much bandwidth, but i want to get some opinions on this.

I am getting ready to switch from dialup to cable internet and from standard telephone to Vonage. Thats 2 major steps and i want to be sure i am not about to screw up royally.

Thanks!
Rusty
WB4BSD
IRLP Node 4739 Owner
Coded General Class Hammy
alex
Dayton 2007 Supporter

Post by alex »

Let me know when you want to switch to vonage... I'll happily give you a referal :)

To answer your question, I don't know as I don't run an IRLP setup.

-Alex
K5MLK
14249C-001400-8

Post by K5MLK »

VK3JED is running his IRLP node on the same Cable Internet as his VoIP phone. It isn't vonage, it's broadvoice I believe (i may be wrong), but everything is working just fine on his end.

There would be no reason for it not work, except for latency, which ofcourse will happen when you max out your bandwidth. IRLP requires 32kbps to run efficiently, so you should have no problem at all.

Running IRLP Node 3072 here myself, it will be put from DSL onto cable internet with vonage in about 2 months.
-Matt, K5MLK
mr.syntrx
98247E-211491-4
Location: HI HI FINE BUSINESS OLD MAN THERE ON THE FINE BUSINESS HIHI QSL

Post by mr.syntrx »

Bandwidth won't be a problem on any half-decent cable connection with low latency, and you aren't pushing heaps of other traffic through it while trying to use VoIP (unless you can set up QoS on your router)

All of the commercial VoIP systems have rather modest bandwidth requirements.
wb4bsd

Post by wb4bsd »

well, i got vonage finally. I love it. Now i just need to get my IRLP going.
Rusty
WB4BSD
IRLP Node 4739 Owner
n0xmz
98247E-011400-8
What radios do you own?: IC-725, IC-706MK2G, IC-207, /\/\ Spectra 900 x 2, IC-T7H.

Vonage & echolink

Post by n0xmz »

I also have Vonage but I can't get echolink to work to save my life. The d@mn*d thing just won't connect to a node. qrzmoderator I've followed the instructions to set up ZoneAlarm properly, but still no connectivity (except to the server that tells me who's online). I suspect my router or perhaps the Vonage adapter but I don't see why they would cause any trouble.

Any ideas?
www.n0xmz.com
www.scottbomb.com
KC9ECI

Post by KC9ECI »

Check the PPPoE settings on your router.
Police, Firefighters and EMS are the most collectively dysfunctional group of people in existence and only we understand each other!

http://w9idx.com/
wb4bsd

Re: Vonage & echolink

Post by wb4bsd »

n0xmz wrote:I also have Vonage but I can't get echolink to work to save my life. The d@mn*d thing just won't connect to a node. qrzmoderator I've followed the instructions to set up ZoneAlarm properly, but still no connectivity (except to the server that tells me who's online). I suspect my router or perhaps the Vonage adapter but I don't see why they would cause any trouble.

Any ideas?
If your router is set for automatic DHCP then you need to configure port forwarding on the router. Echolink needs a stable, static IP number. Read the echolink instructions and your router instructions for how to do this. IF you have problems feel free to contact me off line or by telephone and i can walk you through it.. If you get it you can check into the net tomorrow night!!!
Rusty
WB4BSD
IRLP Node 4739 Owner