Any Volunteers?

Discussion of internet radio linking, and other similar things.

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

K5MLK
14249C-001400-8

Any Volunteers?

Post by K5MLK »

I have started a project, which will probably take a month or more to complete, to merge IRLP and Echolink using an IRLP Reflector and an Echolink Conference on the same computer system.

This, with quite a bit of work on scripting, will make IRLP users appear in the echolink user panel as "stnXXXX IRLP" where the "XXXX" is the IRLP's node number. I have acquired a 300Mbps connection for it's use.

Is there anyone who would like to help me, that has access to either IRLP or Echolink? You don't have to know anything advanced, just how to connect to a conference or reflector channel.

Basically, I need people to be able to connect via either IRLP or Echolink at the same time as another, to test the audio and Echolink's acknowledgement of the IRLP station being connected to the conference.

After the bugs are worked out of the system, this can potentially be used for the Hamsexy Weekly Nets, if the Admin agree to approve of it, and agree to it.
-Matt, K5MLK
Shane
H98UCH9PW7AN

Post by Shane »

I could help test. There is a IRLP/ECHOLINK node here in town (NØVZC), and I have my own echolink-L. (not always on, just when I feel like it.)

Give me the skinny, and I'll do it.
My 9 year old son got his ticket.
Now I lost exclusive rights to my ham shack.
COOL!
ve7ltd

Post by ve7ltd »

Dont bother recreating the wheel. It has already been done such that TBD and the IRLP refelctor all run off the same system.

Tony VK3JED has done it for the NV-GATE and ref9258 and between WX-TALK and ref9219.

Of course your admin will have to pay a lot of attention, as there is a huge problem with -L and -R systems in echolink not having the correct configuration for using conferences..

I will see if I can get this going on the Vancouver reflector for future nets.

Dave Cameron
VE7LTD
IRLP System Designer
K5MLK
14249C-001400-8

Post by K5MLK »

ve7ltd wrote:Dont bother recreating the wheel. It has already been done such that TBD and the IRLP refelctor all run off the same system.

Tony VK3JED has done it for the NV-GATE and ref9258 and between WX-TALK and ref9219.

Of course your admin will have to pay a lot of attention, as there is a huge problem with -L and -R systems in echolink not having the correct configuration for using conferences..

I will see if I can get this going on the Vancouver reflector for future nets.

Dave Cameron
VE7LTD
IRLP System Designer
I never said I was inventing it. I'm just taking the help from Tony, and doing it myself on my systems. You also forgot another one, which is 9508 and NEW-ENG.

It's amazing how I mention a system that I'm going to put in place, and someone snaps at me that it's already been done. Thousands of people put up repeaters, but nobody ever says "It's been done. Don't bother recreating the wheel."
-Matt, K5MLK
ve7ltd

Post by ve7ltd »

I am just suprised I had never heard of it. You will require a PGP key for your reflector/conference to be accessible from an IRLP node.

I didnt snap at you. You just never mentioned that you were using Tony's scripts and such, so I assumed you had no knowledge of the work that had already been done.

Just trying to save you some time, as I can have one setup within the hour.

Dave Cameron - VE7LTD
K5MLK
14249C-001400-8

Post by K5MLK »

ve7ltd wrote:I am just suprised I had never heard of it. You will require a PGP key for your reflector/conference to be accessible from an IRLP node.

I didnt snap at you. You just never mentioned that you were using Tony's scripts and such, so I assumed you had no knowledge of the work that had already been done.

Just trying to save you some time, as I can have one setup within the hour.

Dave Cameron - VE7LTD
Well, thanks. I was in a bit of a bad mood earlier. That would be nice, but I'd like my own Echolink Conference & IRLP Reflector using this message for emergency use in the South Central U.S.
-Matt, K5MLK
ve3nsv
98249C-001400-7

Post by ve3nsv »

That would be cool if you are able to cross-link the two systems, then I can pull the stream audio right from Echolink instead of via RF via the local repeater. I think if we ever get the two systems bridged together the net will run til 4:00am with all the keyboard check-ins. qrzmoderator
K5MLK
14249C-001400-8

Post by K5MLK »

An Update: The system will be put into place on the weekend of July 29/31.
-Matt, K5MLK
K5MLK
14249C-001400-8

Post by K5MLK »

K5MLK wrote:An Update: The system will be put into place on the weekend of July 29/31.
South Central Emergency Radio Network :baby:
-Matt, K5MLK
ve7ltd

Sorry to rain on your parade....

Post by ve7ltd »

It is offical! The Hamsexy/IRLP conference bridge is up and running, thanks to the tireless work of the IRLP System Designer VE7LTD, and IRLP/EchoLink conference genius Tony Langdon VK3JED.

They would also like to put out a huge thank you to Jeff Dale, VA3ISP, for
generously donating the bandwidth and hardware for the combined reflector/conference.

This is a 24/7 channel dedicated to the Hamsexy group and any related
special interest groups. Come join us for chit chat anytime on the EchoLink
conference *VAN_IRLP* or IRLP reflector channel 9008.

The conference bridge runs under Fedora Linux, and can handle 200
connections from EchoLink and 200 from IRLP.

EchoLink RF node owners - MAKE SURE that your system is not sending IDs or hangtimes to the EchoLink conference, or your system will be kicked and banned from the conference... for good. There is very little tolerance for this rule. Also make sure you do not have conferencing turned on for your local node, or you will meet a similar fate.

Finally, a combined EchoLink and IRLP conference we can use for bringing the wide spread international Hamsexy crowd together!

David Cameron - VE7LTD
HOBS - Hamsexy Oral Bandwidth Supporter
K5MLK
14249C-001400-8

Re: Sorry to rain on your parade....

Post by K5MLK »

ve7ltd wrote:It is offical! The Hamsexy/IRLP conference bridge is up and running, thanks to the tireless work of the IRLP System Designer VE7LTD, and IRLP/EchoLink conference genius Tony Langdon VK3JED.

They would also like to put out a huge thank you to Jeff Dale, VA3ISP, for
generously donating the bandwidth and hardware for the combined reflector/conference.

This is a 24/7 channel dedicated to the Hamsexy group and any related
special interest groups. Come join us for chit chat anytime on the EchoLink
conference *VAN_IRLP* or IRLP reflector channel 9008.

The conference bridge runs under Fedora Linux, and can handle 200
connections from EchoLink and 200 from IRLP.

EchoLink RF node owners - MAKE SURE that your system is not sending IDs or hangtimes to the EchoLink conference, or your system will be kicked and banned from the conference... for good. There is very little tolerance for this rule. Also make sure you do not have conferencing turned on for your local node, or you will meet a similar fate.

Finally, a combined EchoLink and IRLP conference we can use for bringing the wide spread international Hamsexy crowd together!

David Cameron - VE7LTD
HOBS - Hamsexy Oral Bandwidth Supporter
Let me get this straight. I say I'm going to do it, then when I get started doing it, you run in and take it from me.
-Matt, K5MLK
ve7ltd

Post by ve7ltd »

Yes you have it straight.

I was getting tired of people from Echolink asking me when the "Echolink crosslink" into the Hamsexy net is going to be up and running. People badmouthing IRLP becuase they couldnt check into the net.... So I did something about it.

How many weeks in a row have we tried to get the K5MLK-L link setup? How many weeks was there a problem? Everyone that I had checked in.

The only thing I heard was a lot of squealin, both from the radio and the users.

I set this up around 9PM last night, before your actual date posting. I was already running the IRLP reflector, and had long time plans to set this up before I even heard what you were trying to do. It was even an idea that Shaun VE4UO and I had talked about before the net started on June 1st. You can even see for yourself that my forums account is only three days old.

Put it this way: I saved you time. You can set up an echolink conference, but to run a full blown IRLP reflector, you need a bit more knowledge of IRLP... Plus IRLP doesnt allow anyone to run a reflector. I know that sounds snobby, but the structure of IRLP and Echolink are very different. Do you have access to the source code required to run the crosslink?

But feel free to set up your own system.

Dave Cameron
VE7LTD
K5MLK
14249C-001400-8

Post by K5MLK »

ve7ltd wrote:Yes you have it straight.

I was getting tired of people from Echolink asking me when the "Echolink crosslink" into the Hamsexy net is going to be up and running. People badmouthing IRLP becuase they couldnt check into the net.... So I did something about it.

How many weeks in a row have we tried to get the K5MLK-L link setup? How many weeks was there a problem? Everyone that I had checked in.

The only thing I heard was a lot of squealin, both from the radio and the users.

I set this up around 9PM last night, before your actual date posting. I was already running the IRLP reflector, and had long time plans to set this up before I even heard what you were trying to do. It was even an idea that Shaun VE4UO and I had talked about before the net started on June 1st. You can even see for yourself that my forums account is only three days old.

Put it this way: I saved you time. You can set up an echolink conference, but to run a full blown IRLP reflector, you need a bit more knowledge of IRLP... Plus IRLP doesnt allow anyone to run a reflector. I know that sounds snobby, but the structure of IRLP and Echolink are very different. Do you have access to the source code required to run the crosslink?

But feel free to set up your own system.

Dave Cameron
VE7LTD
I never said I was running my own reflector, it's using an existing reflector. OK on your system.
-Matt, K5MLK