Fan noise

Discussion of internet radio linking, and other similar things.

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

wb4bsd

Fan noise

Post by wb4bsd »

I'm using a gm300 with a computer fan on the back of it. Everytime the radio keys up, the fan slows down due to the current draw and you can hear the fan noise over the radio. Is there a simple solution to filter this noise out? such as using some ferrite beads or something??
Rusty
WB4BSD
IRLP Node 4739 Owner
Coded General Class Hammy
wb4bsd

Post by wb4bsd »

15 amp triplite.. should i get a bigger powersupply like a 30 amp or something??
Rusty
WB4BSD
IRLP Node 4739 Owner
kp4tr

Power Supply Fan

Post by kp4tr »

I use a computer fan but the power supply comes from a separate 1 amp power supply I had from an old toshiba laptop. No issues here at all.

IRLP 4085
wb4bsd

Post by wb4bsd »

i use 2 fans. one on the power supply itself and one on the radio. seems that only one of them (radio) slows down though.. kinda odd. maybe i need to boost the wire size i am using to something a little bigger.
Rusty
WB4BSD
IRLP Node 4739 Owner
ve3nsv
98249C-001400-7

Post by ve3nsv »

wb4bsd wrote:i use 2 fans. one on the power supply itself and one on the radio. seems that only one of them (radio) slows down though.. kinda odd. maybe i need to boost the wire size i am using to something a little bigger.
Same here Rusty, one on the GE Pheonix and one on the Astron SL-11A and no fan noise either.

Are you using shielded audio cables?

Maybe try routing ALL power cables away from the audio cables.

Maybe the fan is on its way out and producing lots of noise while it dies a slow death?
IRLP Node 2410
Echolink Node 152298
Icecast Server

They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.
wb4bsd

Post by wb4bsd »

ve3nsv wrote:
wb4bsd wrote:i use 2 fans. one on the power supply itself and one on the radio. seems that only one of them (radio) slows down though.. kinda odd. maybe i need to boost the wire size i am using to something a little bigger.
Same here Rusty, one on the GE Pheonix and one on the Astron SL-11A and no fan noise either.

Are you using shielded audio cables?

Maybe try routing ALL power cables away from the audio cables.

Maybe the fan is on its way out and producing lots of noise while it dies a slow death?
All audio and power cables are separated. Now that have been thinking about it. I think i just need to get some bigger wire. I think the amp draw is just more than the current wire can handle and its causing the problems. The fan could be dying too. I might get a smaller one with the same CFM of air movement and see if that helps.

This is what i like about ham radio.. the tinkering and trouble shooting.
Rusty
WB4BSD
IRLP Node 4739 Owner
ve7ltd

Post by ve7ltd »

[quote="wb4bsdi use 2 fans. one on the power supply itself and one on the radio. seems that only one of them (radio) slows down though.. kinda odd. maybe i need to boost the wire size i am using to something a little bigger.[/quote]

Power the fan from the computer power supply. That will solve your problem.

Dave
G1LVN
H98UCH9PW7AN
Location: I had an accident, and I woke up in forums.hamsexy.com. Am I mad, in a coma, or back in time?

Re: Fan noise

Post by G1LVN »

wb4bsd wrote:I'm using a gm300 with a computer fan on the back of it. Everytime the radio keys up, the fan slows down due to the current draw and you can hear the fan noise over the radio. Is there a simple solution to filter this noise out? such as using some ferrite beads or something??
I used a DC fan for about a year. Could not get the hum off the audio, despite different PSU's grounding, even 600ohm isolating transformers on Audio RX and TX !!

The answer after 2 years of scratching my head was simple and cheap........

.....Mains powered fan. Cost less than 20 bucks down the local Wall Mart (ASDA). Makes's one heck of a noise though even on position 1. On position 3 it chills a 25Watt Motorola PA heatsink (running 60 watts) constant KEYUP for 10mins to 7 Degrees C !!
My Call is M0WWS. I had an accident,
and I woke up in uk.radio.amateur.
Am I mad, in a coma, or back in time?
mr.syntrx
98247E-211491-4
Location: HI HI FINE BUSINESS OLD MAN THERE ON THE FINE BUSINESS HIHI QSL

Post by mr.syntrx »

Try putting a fat ass capacitor on that fan's power lines, to smooth the noise out a bit.
Support the Warfighter