School me on echolink

Discussion of internet radio linking, and other similar things.

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

w4wtf
Dayton 2007 Supporter

School me on echolink

Post by w4wtf »

Having never played with it, what is needed?

Say I wanted to set up a node from work (since I have a nice business DSL that gets virtually no use) what all do I need?
Taking donations for the WTF Quantar fund....
KD8CPP
98245C-001400-5

Post by KD8CPP »

Well, You will need a radio (duh), an interface such as a rigblaster (nomic if you don't plan on using the radio to talk), an old computer such as a laptop since they dont draw too much power, and the software. Once you get it set up, you will need to go to the DSL modem's config and tell it to foreward the ports 5988 and 5999 (I think, but I am probably wrong). Once you get that set up, you will need to interface the radio to the computer, usually the soundcard to rigblaster, rigblaster to mic port on radio, then speaker port on the radio to computer. MAKE SURE YOU SELECT THE SAMR LINE IN OR MIC PORT ON THE COMPUTER! Then set the input volume to max (several people will tell you not to, but this is the easiest way) then talk on the HT and adjust the volume on the radio to where the meter does not peg out. Then adjust the speaker volume to a gool level. When you try to send the DTMF codes, it may not work. Go to Sysop settings, DTMF, advanced settings and fool with them.

Any questions drop me a PM.
Achmead wrote:Oh wait I could have Clay Aiken