KC8RYW simplex node 4018 is up! Try calling me!

Discussion of internet radio linking, and other similar things.

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

KC8RYW

KC8RYW simplex node 4018 is up! Try calling me!

Post by KC8RYW »

I have the computer setup. It wasn't hard at all.

Now, all I need to run a line from the busy LED on the front to drive the COS. I found the transistor I need to take it from, but I need to work up the courage to deal with soldering into SMD. Motorola wasn't cool enough to add I/O to the GTX mobile.

The audio level coming out of the computer was fun to set on the GTX. I use HearClear, so it compresses the Tx audio. You can drive it with a pretty good audio level, and it will just run into gain reduction without clipping. It sounds good on a HearClear enabled radio. On a scanner, it just sounds really compressed. I don't have a deviation meter, so I had to wing it by guesstimating.

The only thing I want to fix sometime soon is getting a decent soundcard. The on-board motherboard sound has a pretty crappy noise floor.

I don't know why, but the user 'repeater' kept cranking the aumixer settings to full blast all the way around. Even the stupid inputs that do nothing but just add more to the noise floor problem (mic, cd, midi, etc). A little chmod on the default settings file, and now only root can change it. Problem solved.

Also coming soon -- an actual IRLP 902/927 repeater using an 800 MHz MaxTrac and a 900 MHz Maxtrac. Finding a set of tuned cans would be the kick to get the project rolling. I'm going to use the IRLP controller and computer as the only repeater controller. The ability to control the repeater through SSH is just too appealing.
Last edited by KC8RYW on Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ve3nsv
98249C-001400-7

Re: KC8RYW simplex node 4018 is almost up...

Post by ve3nsv »

The only problem with taking your COS line from the busy light is it won't follow PL. Unless you plan on running your node CSQ your going to need to find a point that only changes state with a valid signal. If not your going to get lots of falsing and possibly annoy a few reflector owners in the process.
KC8RYW wrote:I have the computer setup. It wasn't hard at all.

Now, all I need to run a line from the busy LED on the front to drive the COS. I found the transistor I need to take it from, but I need to work up the courage to deal with soldering into SMD. Motorola wasn't cool enough to add I/O to the GTX mobile.
IRLP Node 2410
Echolink Node 152298
Icecast Server

They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.
ve3nsv
98249C-001400-7

Post by ve3nsv »

Woot !

KC8RYW

Post by KC8RYW »

The node is now up.

I moved to where there isn't an IRLP node for like 50 miles.

I decided to be nice and use 2 meter simplex and PL to let the :ham:'s use it.

A big thanks goes to JAYMZ for helpin' me out with supplies.

Dial it up and tell me what you think. I'll be up till at least midnight EST -- no work tomorrow.

I'm really looking for someone to tell me if the audio sounds OK. There is only so much you can do with an echo reflector without any test gear.

:mjban:
KC8RYW

Post by KC8RYW »

I'm using this for a CW-ID'r.

http://rob.pectol.com/irlp/content/view/2/

Very easy to setup.
KC8RYW

Post by KC8RYW »

Rayjk110 wrote:Yeah you sounded good with my test with you.

Nice loud, crisp audio. Nadda problem!
I'm not surprised.

All Motorola radios on this end. :mjban: