CentOS

Discussion of internet radio linking, and other similar things.

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

wb4bsd

CentOS

Post by wb4bsd »

Has anyone else upgraded from FC3 to CentOS?

If so, what problems did you run into?

I am having some DNS issues and also i flubbed up when i was setting my IP to static (i put in the wrong IP i wanted to use).

Its been many years since i first put my node online so i am a little rusty on some of the commands to change things.
Rusty
WB4BSD
IRLP Node 4739 Owner
Coded General Class Hammy
K8TEK
FTW FOR THE WIN....

Post by K8TEK »

Wow, I have been out of it for a while... I did not realize VE7LTD dumped Fedora in favor of CentOS. I wonder what the reason behind that is.
43686164697353757841636f7264734b6f6b0d0a
wb4bsd

Post by wb4bsd »

K8TEK wrote:Wow, I have been out of it for a while... I did not realize VE7LTD dumped Fedora in favor of CentOS. I wonder what the reason behind that is.
Not quiet sure the reason, but i am sure its a good one.

I am not a linux guru so i trust that Dave wouldn't switch over to something that wasn't good.

I just need to buckle down and start understanding the in's and out's of linux so that i can actually do things on my node computer.
Rusty
WB4BSD
IRLP Node 4739 Owner
kd5wyu
102480-000000-3

Post by kd5wyu »

Here's why Dave switched.

A given Fedora release has a much shorter release "half-life" (where you can get package updates) than Centos. Anything older than FC6 has no package updates any longer.

Updates are important when you are exposing services to the Big Bad h4x0r filled intertubes. Otherwise they be in ur servers stealing ur internetz.

Centos is a rebuild of Redhat Enterprise which means it is supported for many years longer than the year+ a month a Fedora release typically gets.

For a "fire and semi-forget" type of operation like an IRLP node or a Dstar gateway or other production server, Centos is perfect.

Operationally you won't notice much of a difference.

You can run "setup" as root and then choose "network configuration" to fix your IP address issues. The DNS servers your system uses are set up in /etc/resolv.conf, which you can change with an editor as root. (real sysadmins use vi)

Redhat has some excellent documentation on their RHEL products located here and naturally the almighty Google is your friend with Linux :baby:
k3who
EXTERMINATE!! EXTERMINATE!!

Post by k3who »

Interesting... I haven't heard of CentOS until now. I wish I had a spare box to try it out on.
N3JFW: Next on hamsexy busters, kc8ryw and ve3xls will show up if you truely can make a meat missle using salami and gun powder.
wb4bsd

Post by wb4bsd »

got it fixed..

now my node is back and running on CentOS...

EchoIRLP may follow, may not.. havent decided if i want to fool with that again or not...
Rusty
WB4BSD
IRLP Node 4739 Owner
wb4bsd

Post by wb4bsd »

okay, i caved and installed EchoIRLP too..hehe
Rusty
WB4BSD
IRLP Node 4739 Owner