stupid radio tricks

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

resqjony

stupid radio tricks

Post by resqjony »

so i've seen some reveiws of the icom f70d p25 portable around on the board here...i've had one for a while now, and i like it a lot...and yes anyone can get the programming software/hardware for a reasonable price (just to belay rumors to the contrary)

anyway, its a great radio and all, but i wanted something keypad programable, and p25 capable...that effectively narrows the field real quick down to about the E.F. Johnson 5100 and that brick that BK makes...
so i did a little digging...turns out the f70 is indeed keypad programable...its an option that needs to be enabled through a hidden menu in the software

you don't get control over everything, but you can edit TX/RX frequencies, PL tones and/or NAC and the display name. combine that with the tactical group function and :mjban:
plus all the features that they come standard with...2 line display, submersible and full MDC capabilities including stun, revive, radio check ect...
...i'm gitty as a school girl
thought i would pass it on
-jonathan
Mong
9A247E-211493-9

Post by Mong »

1st, welcome

2nd, share it with us butthead :baby:

3rd, the :baby: is meant to show humor

4th, the :mjban: reminds me to buy bananas and tap-dancing shoes :baby:
resqjony

Post by resqjony »

the bananas and tap shoes don't get used together do they?

:anus:

and yes...greeting and salutations all around. i've spent entirely too long leaching off the hamsexy forums, i thought it was high time i contributed something

ok...so heres the beef...
in the CS-F70/1700 software, read data from your target radio (duh), now go the the "help" menu and select "About". this opens the window that tells you all about the software (registered owner, software code ect...).
with that window open type "reserve" (loose the quotes). there is no field to type it into, just type it.
this will pop up a window advising that you have acivated the Makers Reserve function. hit enter a couple times.
you will notice a new menu in the tree view on the left side call, as you might imagine, makers reserve.
selecting that menu gives all sorts of ways to screw up your radio, but the one you care about is all the way at the bottom labeled "Set Mode Access" or something similar. enable that.
then go to the "common" screen of the "common" menu. you will find newly expanded security settings where you once more need to enable dealer set mode access and you can also set the dealer mode password.

now write the data back to the radio. to access the dealer set mode turn on the radio while holding down the button below PTT on the side as well and the P0 button. the screen will read "dealer". enter the password you set the press P0 again. using the two buttons above PTT scroll through the info for the selected channel. pushing P3 while the zone/channel number is displayed will allow you to change the change the channel by using the 2 top side buttons or by pushing P1 you can change the zone...

the rest you gotta figure out on your own 'cause i'm sick of typing...

oh...real important...DO NOT write this data to anything but the radio you read it from. the makers reserve menu relies on data specific to the individual radio to was taken from...other wise you can brick a radio.
n3jfw
Administrator
Administrator

Re: stupid radio tricks

Post by n3jfw »

resqjony wrote:so i've seen some reveiws of the icom f70d p25 portable around on the board here...i've had one for a while now, and i like it a lot...and yes anyone can get the programming software/hardware for a reasonable price (just to belay rumors to the contrary)
Not rumors when they first came out. Initially icom wasn't releasing the software. They have since changed that policy. However, it took them a little bit to realize they needed to do so.

Seth
Last edited by n3jfw on Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
N3JFW 4:29 pm
(4:29:48 PM): so he's gay huh
(nameless ham) 4:30 pm
(4:30:02 PM): haha no, but he is a music major
N3JFW 4:30 pm
(4:30:15 PM): so he's still in the closet
n3jfw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by n3jfw »

btw-you forgot the vertex radio.
mancow
Moderator - Dayton 2007 Supporter

Post by mancow »

How much?

Now I wish we would have looked into those for work.
resqjony

Post by resqjony »

does vertex have a current model thats FPP?...i thought that i had seen that somewhere, but i couldn't find it again

as far as price....i've seen the p25 model on the net for as cheep as $1100 or $1200...and you'll probably find the analog one for around $700 or so
n3jfw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by n3jfw »

it's fpp with a programming key. Kinda like the jt1000's

Seth
resqjony

Post by resqjony »

oh....well thats sorta annoying
presumably then, like the jt1000, it could be hacked to not need the key.
mr.syntrx
98247E-211491-4
Location: HI HI FINE BUSINESS OLD MAN THERE ON THE FINE BUSINESS HIHI QSL

Post by mr.syntrx »

Sweet. Most Icom software has that maker reserve feature, that does various things on different radios (mostly boring shit on the radios I've had.)

I came very close to buying an IC-F80DT, but I couldn't find anyone who could tell me whether the 400-470 model would go up to 477 (an essential feature for me.) The dealers I spoke to didn't have one in stock to test it first hand, and Icom refuse to tell them shit like that, so I ended up getting an ASTRO Saber III instead.

Police in the state next door are trialling the high split UHF model, but if they can't get Icom to consider adding voting scan for the third largest force around, they haven't much hope on making any big sales there.
Support the Warfighter
resqjony

Post by resqjony »

my experience so far is that most icom radios in the 400-470 split will easily go up to 480-ish and the 450-512 split tends to cover the ham band with no problem...
and the software doesn't care about which split the raido i. you can even dump a UHF file into a VHF radio and it won't say anything

the f3061 (or 4061 for uhf) has the voting scan i think...its not p25 though, its the 6.25khz fsk digital...it too appears to be FPP
n3jfw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by n3jfw »

resqjony wrote:oh....well thats sorta annoying
presumably then, like the jt1000, it could be hacked to not need the key.
I don't know. Not too many vertex hackers out there though...

Seth
Mong
9A247E-211493-9

Post by Mong »

mancow wrote:How much?

Now I wish we would have looked into those for work.

http://www.icomamerica.com/specials/Lan ... efault.asp

They are running a trade in promo, here are the retail prices before trades.....

Model Retail (USD)

F70DS 01 $1620
F70DS 01 RC $1700
F70DT 11 $1720
F70DT 11 RC $1800
KB9SXK
98245C-001400-5

Post by KB9SXK »

1/2 off of those for a trade.
"I'm with the government, I'm here to help you"

VE6HBD:
"I would have killed for a bear with a working asshole."

W2WTF:
"shut your fat arrogant yankee horses rear up and keep your opinions to yourself."