Sussex Tech Hamfest

A place to post info about local hamfests.

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

kb3isa

Sussex Tech Hamfest

Post by kb3isa »

I know its the same weekend as Dayton, but they did that on purpose. Gives those of us that can't make it to Dayton something to do that Saturday. Only 2 hour drive from DC, Philly, etc. http://k3str.com
Last year the attendance was over 300 they are expecting at least that this year. Tailgating is free, inside table are $10 each.

Willie
kb3isa
KB3PCW
MOT1

Post by KB3PCW »

Sussex Co, DE??? AND on a Saturday?!?!?

Any boatanchor stuff, or is it usually the standard vendor stuff and completely non-radio related stuff I've seen at hamfests of late?

KB3PCW
kb3isa

Post by kb3isa »

The last two years it has been primarily tailgating. I picked up a couple of good deals there last year. Eagle One Communications is usually the only major commercial vendor. Can't beat the admission price. Free tailgaiting, free admission and inside tables are $10. There will be free VE testing @ 12pm and this is also the Delaware Section ARRL Convention this year. I will be there till around 10am when I have to leave to go to work.

Willie
KB3PCW
MOT1

Post by KB3PCW »

Will be there :)
KB3JUV
MOT1

Post by KB3JUV »

I'll be there too.
KB3PCW
MOT1

Post by KB3PCW »

Awesome, will be nice to meet you, especially as I have a MARS app in right now, hi!

Anyhow, if you see a red car with black stripes on the side, that'll be me.

I can't do Dayton because I have to work on the Sunday - at 7 AM - in Newark, but I think I'll be able to get my 50 ohm coax down at Sussex, cause I'll never pay what HRO want these days. I wish Radio Shack was still cool......*sigh*
KB3PCW
MOT1

Post by KB3PCW »

Final check-in, heading down for 10 AM at the latest :)
KB3PCW
MOT1

Post by KB3PCW »

It was nice to meet everyone @ the fest....I'm glad there's something in Delaware first off, it's such a small state, nothing really ever happens here. Good to know that ham is alive and well in the state.

There wasn't much there in the way of vendors or tailgaters, but I was in ham heaven poking around the 3 boatanchor tables outside. Scored a nice wheatstone bridge and milspec power supply I can fudge for my Hallicrafters, so I came away happy. I also picked up a "beater" 2m mobile for portable use. Now all I need is a good waterproof case and some fancy glass mat batteries and I'll be ready for field day :D

As a side note, I was really impressed with Justin KB3JUV. Very cordial and professional - he puts more than a few old timer's to shame. I was licensed when I was 14, the youngest you can get a license in Region 1, and I know how difficult it can be for people to take you seriously. That's why I used the key or packet more than phone. I think Justin will do Delaware proud :D
kb3isa

Post by kb3isa »

Sorry I missed you had to leave early due to work. Retirement looks real inviting,.,. LOL. I did get a couple of decent deals both inside and out. Got a couple of antennas, a couple kits, and a 6 meter transverter for my Ten Tec.

Willie
Willie | kb3isa | wpyr385
KB3PCW
MOT1

Post by KB3PCW »

I wish I could retire.....I'm a veteran ham of 19 yrs....makes me sound old doesn't it? LOL. Except I'm only 33!! HAHA

Retirement is something I can only dream of.....just like winning the lottery...all dreams :P
ka8ypy
Administrator

Post by ka8ypy »

KB3PCW wrote: As a side note, I was really impressed with Justin KB3JUV. Very cordial and professional - he puts more than a few old timer's to shame. I was licensed when I was 14, the youngest you can get a license in Region 1, and I know how difficult it can be for people to take you seriously. That's why I used the key or packet more than phone. I think Justin will do Delaware proud :D
Umm, There is no age requirement to get an amateur license. We tested several 8 and 9 year olds at Dayton this weekend that passed and should be in the database by Monday evening.
I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen commrade
mr.syntrx
98247E-211491-4
Location: HI HI FINE BUSINESS OLD MAN THERE ON THE FINE BUSINESS HIHI QSL

Post by mr.syntrx »

One dude here on the board got his ticket when he was 6 (tvsjr?)
Support the Warfighter
KB3PCW
MOT1

Post by KB3PCW »

Awesome :)

There was a Region 1 limit tho....I wanted to take it when I was much younger but had to wait it out till I was 14 before I could even sit the tests,
which sucked and relegated me to C-fing-B.

http://www.jarl.or.jp/iaru-r3/news/r3nl-01-06.doc

Bear in mind this was 19 years ago in the UK, and the CW test was 12 WPM with no permitted errors. The license exam was overseen by an accredited vocational exam board, the CGLI.

http://www.city-and-guilds.co.uk

There were also only 2 license classes then as well, Class A (CEPT 1) or Class B (144 MHz and above). No 6 metre privileges...in fact, it was about another year before 6 was even in the amateur spectrum, since certain European countries used 50 MHz for public TV broadcasting, and there was a battle to obtain secondary status. The PEP was also limited to a paltry 200 W input on HF which has now been doubled to 400 apparently.

Guess time's are a-changin'
resqguy
H98UCH9PW7AN

Re: Sussex Tech Hamfest

Post by resqguy »

Updated info for 2008
http://www.k3str.com/
April 12, 2008
at Sussex Technical High School
17099 County Seat Hwy (Rt. 9)
Georgetown, DE 19947
(Gate opens at 6 AM - Indoor open at 7 AM)
Admission: FREE Tailgating: FREE Indoor Spaces: $10