Please Edumacate me...

Forum for the promotion and understanding of digital voice on the amateur bands.

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

ka8ypy
Administrator

Post by ka8ypy »

r0f wrote:
ka8ypy wrote:
r0f wrote:
tvsjr wrote:DSTAR is for amateur use - no encryption capabilities.
I thought it was some big fancy commercial standard used in Asia?
Right now it is Amateur only, but apparently the Japanese Govt is looking into using it as their form of P25 and making more robust.

If you think about it, it's just another vocoder/dsp combination.

Upgrade the ROS to recognize encryption, add the baord, flip the switch and you are there.
I'd like to see Motorola offer APCO-25 phase II as a host/dsp upgrade in older ASTRO tier products when it's out. The specs call for two-slot TDMA and the AMBE (AMBE+2?) vocoder.

Not sure if the hardware can handle TDMA, but I'm fairly confident it could. So long as the T/R switching is fast enough for TDMA...what's the big deal?

People will be pissed if M makes everyone dump current ASTRO25 products (XTS/XTL 5000, 2500, etc) to buy some new phase II crap :baby:

AMBE+2 does sound quite good. I've used it with iDEN handsets--but it has one major flaw. Certain background noise (specifc audio frequencies at specific amplitudes) completely drown out the desired audio frequencies going into the vocoder. It's almost as if you're muted.

This is one of the main reasons why Nextel/Telus dumped AMBE+2 (The new "6:1" vocoder) out of their products. Car noise mutes your voice traffic!
D-Star is using the AMBE2020 vocoder technology and not AMBE+2.

I haven't read up on them so I'm not sure what the difference is.

On a side note...ICOMs D-Star expansion board for the hammy portables and the P25 expansion board for the commercial portables "appear" to be of the same layout and size. I wonder how hard it would be to hax0r the D-Star ROS and put a P25 board in a 91D and have P25 hammy rig???

Just thinking waaayyyy outside the box.
I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen commrade
KB9SXK
98245C-001400-5

Post by KB9SXK »

On a side note...ICOMs D-Star expansion board for the hammy portables and the P25 expansion board for the commercial portables "appear" to be of the same layout and size. I wonder how hard it would be to hax0r the D-Star ROS and put a P25 board in a 91D and have P25 hammy rig???

:anus: :anus: :anus: :anus: :anus: :mjban: :ve4uo: [/quote]
"I'm with the government, I'm here to help you"

VE6HBD:
"I would have killed for a bear with a working asshole."

W2WTF:
"shut your fat arrogant yankee horses rear up and keep your opinions to yourself."
ka8ypy
Administrator

Post by ka8ypy »

KB9SXK wrote:

:anus: :anus: :anus: :anus: :anus: :mjban: :ve4uo:
[/quote]

Better yet, take it a step further...

Haxor either the D-Star ROS or the ICOM P25 ROS to add another option, then figure out a way to frankenstein both expansion boards together and have a radio the would do conventional/P25/D-Star. :anus:
I will never quit.
smokeybehr
98247E-211491-4

Post by smokeybehr »

ka8ypy wrote: On a side note...ICOMs D-Star expansion board for the hammy portables and the P25 expansion board for the commercial portables "appear" to be of the same layout and size. I wonder how hard it would be to hax0r the D-Star ROS and put a P25 board in a 91D and have P25 hammy rig???

I was thinking the same thing, since the model numbers are in the same series (UT-118, UT-119, UT-120, UT-121) for the different flavors of digital operation. Think about it: P25 out of a hammy rig for less than the price of used commercial gear.
KC9UZB
98247E-011480-1

Post by KC9UZB »

:anus:

That would shut my mate up who keeps asking me if there's a ham p25 rig.
KB9SXK
98245C-001400-5

Post by KB9SXK »

IIRC,
ICON has a P25 recieve card already

VE6HBD:

W2WTF:
"shut your fat arrogant yankee horses rear up and keep your opinions to yourself."
ka8ypy
Administrator

Post by ka8ypy »

KB9SXK wrote:IIRC,
They also have a P25 Expansion board for their comercial tranceivers(TX/RX). I believe about the same price as a D-Star expansion board as well ($230ish).
I will never quit.
KB9SXK
98245C-001400-5

Post by KB9SXK »

ka8ypy wrote:
KB9SXK wrote:IIRC,
They also have a P25 Expansion board for their comercial tranceivers(TX/RX). I believe about the same price as a D-Star expansion board as well ($230ish).
Has anyone.....??????????????? :baby:

VE6HBD:

W2WTF:
Mong
9A247E-211493-9

Post by Mong »

Who wants to chip in money to find out? :baby:
KB3JUV
MOT1

Post by KB3JUV »

I'll give a dollar.
Mong
9A247E-211493-9

Post by Mong »

KB3JUV wrote:I'll give a dollar.

Cheap ass kids :baby:
KB9SXK
98245C-001400-5

Post by KB9SXK »

I think im going to buy my local ICOM shop owner lunch on day this week and bounce an idea off him :baby:

VE6HBD:

W2WTF:
mr.syntrx
98247E-211491-4
Location: HI HI FINE BUSINESS OLD MAN THERE ON THE FINE BUSINESS HIHI QSL

Post by mr.syntrx »

I'd rather see P25 Phase II use OFDM rather than the current FM nonsense. You could get 30kbps without much trouble, high spectrum efficiency, and it'd be as robust as hell.
Wowbagger
98247E-011400-8

Post by Wowbagger »

mr.syntrx wrote:I'd rather see P25 Phase II use OFDM rather than the current FM nonsense. You could get 30kbps without much trouble, high spectrum efficiency, and it'd be as robust as hell.
Yes, and it would require class AB amplifiers for the finals, would piss off about 50% of the PA input as heat and reduce battery life by a corresponding amount.

That's also why they didn't go with CQPSK, which would have been just a physical layer change rather than a protocol layer change.
tvsjr
Moderator - Dayton 2006/2007 Supporter

Post by tvsjr »

Wowbagger wrote:
mr.syntrx wrote:I'd rather see P25 Phase II use OFDM rather than the current FM nonsense. You could get 30kbps without much trouble, high spectrum efficiency, and it'd be as robust as hell.
Yes, and it would require class AB amplifiers for the finals, would piss off about 50% of the PA input as heat and reduce battery life by a corresponding amount.

That's also why they didn't go with CQPSK, which would have been just a physical layer change rather than a protocol layer change.
Don't forget the infrastructure changes... bigger power supplies, bigger gensets, etc.

Didn't go with CQPSK? All of the Moto P25 gear supports it... I know of at least one system that uses it for their outlier IRs. ???
motorola_otaku
Cock Block

Post by motorola_otaku »

tvsjr wrote:Didn't go with CQPSK? All of the Moto P25 gear supports it... I know of at least one system that uses it for their outlier IRs. ???
Austin/TC? I thought they used CQPSK on the two simulcast systems and C4FM on the IR sites.
And the sign says you got to have a membership card to get inside.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

motorola_otaku wrote:
tvsjr wrote:Didn't go with CQPSK? All of the Moto P25 gear supports it... I know of at least one system that uses it for their outlier IRs. ???
Austin/TC? I thought they used CQPSK on the two simulcast systems and C4FM on the IR sites.
Yeah, duh, brainfart. Anyway, they ARE using CQPSK...
Wowbagger
98247E-011400-8

Post by Wowbagger »

tvsjr wrote: Didn't go with CQPSK? All of the Moto P25 gear supports it... I know of at least one system that uses it for their outlier IRs. ???
By "didn't go with CQPSK" I meant "Didn't adopt CQPSK for the spectral efficiencies mandated." Yes, they use a form of QPSK for simulcast systems, but the modulation parameters are NOT the same as CQPSK - the "eye" of the signal is open quite a bit longer to allow for better operation in the overlap areas between systems, and the mobiles still use C4FM for the inbound link.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Wowbagger wrote:
tvsjr wrote: Didn't go with CQPSK? All of the Moto P25 gear supports it... I know of at least one system that uses it for their outlier IRs. ???
By "didn't go with CQPSK" I meant "Didn't adopt CQPSK for the spectral efficiencies mandated." Yes, they use a form of QPSK for simulcast systems, but the modulation parameters are NOT the same as CQPSK - the "eye" of the signal is open quite a bit longer to allow for better operation in the overlap areas between systems, and the mobiles still use C4FM for the inbound link.
Ah, OK. Thanks for clarifying that... I've never messed with that particular modulation.
Mong
9A247E-211493-9

Post by Mong »

KB9SXK wrote:I think im going to buy my local ICOM shop owner lunch on day this week and bounce an idea off him :baby:

So, have you (or anyone else) found out anything about trying the P-25 board in the :ham: HTs?
KB9SXK
98245C-001400-5

Post by KB9SXK »

He just laughed at me and bought me another beer :baby:

VE6HBD:

W2WTF:
Rijndael

Post by Rijndael »

Actually you can get close to 5,000 bps in APCO packet data in IVD. Even peer to peer with a pair of XTS5000 radios you’ll see close to that.

If you location enable the ‘5K the GPS data can be polled via the IVD during voice and carried in the approx 88bps overhead.

But it is more normal to poll the radio periodically with the XML coded GPS data sent at the full packet data rate. In other words the radio can respond to position requests whenever polled without user intervention.

To reduce overheads you can also set the subscriber radios to report positions autonomously at say 5 minute intervals. Looking the transmission it takes a total of 150 ms to send the position report with the 50 ms or so ACK coming in about 50ms later.
Rijndael

Post by Rijndael »

Reference Wowbagger’s and other comments the key issue with nonlinear modulation methods is adjacent channel power. While OFDM sounds cool it poos all over the adjacent channels even with a decent class linear amp. Remember that we’re talking land mobile here, that’s neg 60 dB in the adjacent channel (ETSI 12.5 kHz, mileage may vary with FCC rules).
kb9mwr
MOT1

D-Star is a disappoitment

Post by kb9mwr »

Sorry, but I need to vent:
D-Star is only a 4800 baud total data stream equivalent signal. 2400 baud is reserved for actual digital voice, 1200 baud is reserved for FEC (forward error correction) on the digital voice. (This is for callsign and short message data.) Another 1200 baud is reserved for serial data. (This is for APRS, and text messages/text query's.) The sad part is 1200 baud data is what we were doing in the 1980's.

So if 4800 baud can fit into a 6kHz bandwidth, we could have had a 12800 (12.8k) baud total data stream equivalent signal fit into our existing 16 kHz bandwidth plans. This could have left us with 9.2k left for data. Or at the very least more could have been given for the digital voice codec, so that we could use other license free-codecs that sound more natural.

Ham radio needs narrow band as much as the ARRL needs more aging members.
Wowbagger
98247E-011400-8

Re: D-Star is a disappoitment

Post by Wowbagger »

kb9mwr wrote: Sorry, but I need to vent:
D-Star is only a 4800 bis per second total data stream equivalent signal. 2400 bis per second are reserved for actual digital voice, 1200 bis per second are reserved for FEC (forward error correction) on the igital voice. (This is for callsign and short message data.) Another 1200 bis per second are reserved for serial data. (This is for APRS, and text messages/text query's.) The sad part is 1200 baud data is what we were doing in the 1980's.

So if 4800 bis per second can fit into a 6kHz bandwidth, we could have had a 12800 (12.8k) bis per second total data stream equivalent signal fit into our existing 16 kHz bandwidth plans. This could have left us with 9.2k left for data. Or at the very least more could have been given for the digital voice codec, so that we could use other license free-codecs that sound more natural.

Ham radio needs narrow band as much as the ARRL needs more aging members.
Sorry, but I need to vent:

BAUD != BITS PER SECOND.

Baud rate is the rate of SYMBOL transmission - D-Star, APCO-25, NXDN, and the other systems out there transmit more than on bit per symbol, so the bit rate of the channel is NOT the same as the baud rate of the channel.

Only on a one bit per symbol modulation scheme is bit rate the same as baud rate. So while bits per second and baud may be the same for wired RS-232 or AX-25, it is NOT the same for just about any over the air modulation scheme (e.g. most OFDM systems run about 30 baud or less - they just transmit a WHACKLOAD of bits per symbol).

-------------

But I do agree with you that D-Star should have used a Free vocoder, so that we all could have had it running on our PCs connected to our radios and it would have had greater penetration. And we all want greater penetration, don't we?
These opinions are mine, not Aeroflex's - if you want service info, manual, or other official support please contact Aeroflex directly.
kb9mwr
MOT1

Re: Please Edumacate me...

Post by kb9mwr »

Sorry about that, thanks for correcting me. Eitherway bps or baud, it's still pathetic and utterly useless