Encryption on P25

Forum for the promotion and understanding of digital voice on the amateur bands.

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

KD8CPX

Encryption on P25

Post by KD8CPX »

I see a lot of the people on here talk about using encryption on their P25/Astro radios.

I was curious if you're actually using it on the Ham band or otherwise. Because I thought it was illegal to use codes/cyphers on ham radio. Or is it just simply not regulated because its on P25 and people don't care?

I'm not trying to implicate anyone or anything like that, I just thought it was more strictly enforced is all.
Evan Hendrick | Student
Michigan Technological University
Mong
9A247E-211493-9

Post by Mong »

If I say I am using DES-XL code 12345678 is it really hidden? Just because someone don't have the gear does not make it bad. I can listen to a local D-star repeater and I can't understand a word they are saying with a "conventional" radio. Same goes for monitoring RTTY with a FM rig.....
KD8CPX

Post by KD8CPX »

I suppose thats true if you put it that way. Would the FCC see it that way though?
Evan Hendrick | Student
Mong
9A247E-211493-9

Post by Mong »

Some might say using a "MDC Data burst to sound cool" would be using use codes/cyphers on ham radio? :baby:
Mong
9A247E-211493-9

Post by Mong »

KD8CPX wrote:I suppose thats true if you put it that way. Would the FCC see it that way though?

You mean the same FCC that kisses the ass of whoever writes the biggest check? Yeah, sure thing :baby:
KD8CPX

Post by KD8CPX »

Yeah, but you don't have to have a specific code to decode an MDC Burst do you? I wasn't saying that its illegal to the point that people who don't have the equipment to encode/decode. I was saying because you have to specify a "key/passcode/password/etc" to decode wouldn't that be considered illegal?
Evan Hendrick | Student
Mong
9A247E-211493-9

Post by Mong »

I'm not an internet lawyer, so I can't answer. You could always go in front of the FCC field office and transmit "secure" for awhile and check back in with us :baby:
KD8CPX

Post by KD8CPX »

I could but I'm not going to... :baby:

Don't have my P25 radio yet anyway. I was just curious to see what you guys thought. Didn't mean to step on anyones toes or anything.
Evan Hendrick | Student
KD8CPP
98245C-001400-5

Post by KD8CPP »

(717) 338-2502
Riley Hollingsworth

Give him a call, he is actually a pretty nice guy.

Thats what I did when I got into a dispute over P25 (after I posted my first message about the legality)
Achmead wrote:Oh wait I could have Clay Aiken
10-95
living the hamsexy dream

Post by 10-95 »

KD8CPP wrote:(717) 338-2502
Riley Hollingsworth

Give him a call, he is actually a pretty nice guy.

Thats what I did when I got into a dispute over P25 (after I posted my first message about the legality)
Just curious, his response?? Did he provide a written follow up?
KD8CPP
98245C-001400-5

Post by KD8CPP »

He said he didn't know :baby: and sent it to the rules department. He said he will call me back sometime this week or next.
Achmead wrote:Oh wait I could have Clay Aiken
W1NAU
102480-000000-3

Post by W1NAU »

Just think of the encryption key as a a really high PL/DPL code. You want to talk? Then buy the board and ask me for the code. Just like using any other system except you can't "scan" for the code.
ka8ypy
Administrator

Post by ka8ypy »

W1NAU wrote:Just think of the encryption key as a a really high PL/DPL code. You want to talk? Then buy the board and ask me for the code. Just like using any other system except you can't "scan" for the code.
Yep, Same idea with hotrodding WiFi gear to run more power, or adding a 2.4 GHz amp with more than 2W output, now it is no longer a part 15 device but a part 97 device, and if you run WEP, WAP, etc and you post the code, then according to the FCC you are golden.
I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen commrade
escomm
professor of rectalingus

Post by escomm »

W1NAU wrote:Just think of the encryption key as a a really high PL/DPL code. You want to talk? Then buy the board and ask me for the code. Just like using any other system except you can't "scan" for the code.
No.

Encryption is not permitted on the ham bands.

We have been over this time and time again. The horse is dead.

97.113(a) of 47 CFR is clear.
I'd hit it so hard you'd have to be to King of England to pull me out
KC8RYW

Post by KC8RYW »

OK, fine, let's just let every script kiddie in the neighborhood on our wifi network.
ka8ypy
Administrator

Post by ka8ypy »

KC8RYW wrote:OK, fine, let's just let every script kiddie in the neighborhood on our wifi network.
See my remark about three posts up that pertains to HSMM (Amateur Radio WiFi)
I will never quit.
escomm
professor of rectalingus

Post by escomm »

ka8ypy wrote:
KC8RYW wrote:OK, fine, let's just let every script kiddie in the neighborhood on our wifi network.
Do you have a cite to support that?
exkalibur
98247E-011480-1

Post by exkalibur »

escomm wrote: 97.113(a) of 47 CFR is clear.
If you are going to use that regulation by the book, then using simplex to talk to your friend who lives a mile away every night is also illegal:
(5) Communications, on a regular basis, which could reasonably be
furnished alternatively through other radio services.
[01:12] Seth: hey
[01:13] Seth: what do you use for a sore anus?
[01:14] exkalibur: more lube?
ka8ypy
Administrator

Post by ka8ypy »

escomm wrote:
ka8ypy wrote:
Do you have a cite to support that?
Not an unresaonable request/question.

I saved one about this somewhere on my hard drive. Once I find it, I'll post it. Stay tuned.
I will never quit.
grinthock
hamsexy oracle

Post by grinthock »

I use encryption, ... So do many others here. Some of us use it on Ham Bands, some don't.

There... I answered the orig question.

Someone asked me once "But what if you get caught?"

The response someone standing near by said was

"Well, that might be difficult if i'm using a portable, and encryption, how are they going to know who I am?"
-------------------------------------------------
Grinthock
Hamsexy Ontario Chapter

"Keep it real... Keep it... HamSexy!"
Credicon
102490-000000-1

Post by Credicon »

grinthock wrote:I use encryption, ... So do many others here. Some of us use it on Ham Bands, some don't.

There... I answered the orig question.

Someone asked me once "But what if you get caught?"

The response someone standing near by said was

"Well, that might be difficult if i'm using a portable, and encryption, how are they going to know who I am?"
On top of that, from what I've been told, Industry Canada doesn't even posses the technology to monitor digital communications, plus they are under funded and under staffed.
escomm
professor of rectalingus

Post by escomm »

You gentlemen are some fine hamsexuals. You give a great name to the hooby.
grinthock
hamsexy oracle

Post by grinthock »

Oh and I have TX'd encrypted on amateur band... However.

Every 10 minutes I turn it off and state

"This is (insert call here) transmitting with IMBE using key 1234567890"

That makes it legal here.

Just because you can't listen doesn't make it encrypted. I can't understand CW to save my life, but that doesn't make it illegal for someone else to use it.
same goes for any other digital mode.

As long as I tell everyone what the key is -- it's no longer encrypted, it's digitally coded with an algorithim.
Grinthock
Hamsexy Ontario Chapter

exkalibur
98247E-011480-1

Post by exkalibur »

escomm wrote:You gentlemen are some fine hamsexuals. You give a great name to the hooby.
I hate to say it...but despite the legal issues around using encryption, it's good to see some people using advanced technology on ham radio, instead of being stuck in the "old days" with CW and that kind of thing. Isn't this how the hobby gets advancement? I don't know for certain but I'm sure there was a time when people thought using FM voice, or Packet or RTTY, etc.. was illegal - and they were probably right - these days they are perfectly acceptable both in terms of legality and "socially".
KC8RYW

Post by KC8RYW »

Ah, yes. DES and DES-XL outside of P25. Two digital modes. Both of which sound like complete crap. :baby:
mr.syntrx
98247E-211491-4
Location: HI HI FINE BUSINESS OLD MAN THERE ON THE FINE BUSINESS HIHI QSL

Post by mr.syntrx »

Just enforce IPSEC AH (without ESP etc) and be done with it. No obscured meaning per the rules, and your machines will drop any packet without a valid AH.
KC8RYW

Post by KC8RYW »

Rayjk110 wrote:I use DES-OFB on almost a daily basis. Sounds just like regular IMBE, too! I used to use XL, but it sounded so windy and grainy that I couldn't stand listening to it for too long.
What are you going on about? DES-XL over P25 suffers no noticeable loss in audio quality.

If it sounded grainy, you were in CVSD modulation.

:anus:
KC8RYW

Post by KC8RYW »

Rayjk110 wrote:No no, I'm talking about plain XL to XL, simplex. No IMBE involved. I generally only use OFB for IMBE stuff, altho I have not tried XL with IMBE.
Try it. You'll like it. :baby:
escomm
professor of rectalingus

Post by escomm »

exkalibur wrote:
escomm wrote:You gentlemen are some fine hamsexuals. You give a great name to the hooby.
I hate to say it...but despite the legal issues around using encryption, it's good to see some people using advanced technology on ham radio, instead of being stuck in the "old days" with CW and that kind of thing. Isn't this how the hobby gets advancement? I don't know for certain but I'm sure there was a time when people thought using FM voice, or Packet or RTTY, etc.. was illegal - and they were probably right - these days they are perfectly acceptable both in terms of legality and "socially".
This is horseshit. Breaking the rules is OK because people want to advance technology? That's a retarded argument, and a red herring.
Credicon
102490-000000-1

Post by Credicon »

escomm wrote:This is horseshit. Breaking the rules is OK because people want to advance technology? That's a retarded argument, and a red herring.

No... this is a Retarded Argument...
http://www.hindawi.com/GetArticle.aspx? ... 2007/28430

and heres you're red herring

almost forgot....

Here's your sign...
exkalibur
98247E-011480-1

Post by exkalibur »

escomm wrote:This is horseshit. Breaking the rules is OK because people want to advance technology? That's a retarded argument, and a red herring.
So what about all the radio experimenters of days past that experimented with modes that were probably considered "illegal" either by law or otherwise? I remember reading back in the day when 9600bps packet was introduced back in the day, it was illegal to use speeds higher than 4800 but that was eventually changed.

I realize where you're coming from, but my point is that the hobby will never advance unless people are willing to experiment with new modes. I'm not saying that encryption is the best example of this, but it IS an example.
grinthock
hamsexy oracle

Post by grinthock »

Mike you are exactly right.

Any "Digital" encoding or modification of our signal, unless generally accepted by the community and unless there is either equipment available or a generalized specification, is technically "Obscuring the meaning of the message" and is a no no.

This may appear to stifle innovation, however in Amateur Radio there is always 2 things... There is the "Rules" and there is the "Spirit of the rules"

If you are encrypting to hide your transmission you are breaking the rules.

If you are experimenting with a new digital mode, designed by you, you are still within the "Spirit of the rules"
Grinthock
Hamsexy Ontario Chapter

escomm
professor of rectalingus

Post by escomm »

grinthock wrote:Mike you are exactly right.
No, he isn't. In fact, he's ass backwards, just like you.
Any "Digital" encoding or modification of our signal, unless generally accepted by the community and unless there is either equipment available or a generalized specification, is technically "Obscuring the meaning of the message" and is a no no.
Wrong yet again. Digital transmission is an authorized emission type.
This may appear to stifle innovation, however in Amateur Radio there is always 2 things... There is the "Rules" and there is the "Spirit of the rules"
Wrong, again and again. The spirit of the rules is that you can't fucking hide what you are talking about or who you are talking to. How are you so dense?
If you are encrypting to hide your transmission you are breaking the rules.
Hiding your transmissions is a prima facie result of encrypting. So, if you are encrypting a voice transmission, you are breaking the rules. Simple as that. The written rule, and the SPIRIT of the rules
If you are experimenting with a new digital mode, designed by you, you are still within the "Spirit of the rules"
Can you show me anyone here at Hamsexy that has designed their own digital mode? No?

P25 was developed by APCO and DVSI. No ham operator made AES or DES either.

This is almost as easy as when FOY runs his mouth.... if you terds want to run crypto, no problem, fork over the $500 for an FCC commercial license and some frequency coordination and circlejerk yourselves on DES all day long....
exkalibur
98247E-011480-1

Post by exkalibur »

escomm wrote:fork over the $500 for an FCC commercial license and some frequency coordination and circlejerk yourselves on DES all day long....
I'd love to, but something tells me the FCC would tell us to FO and talk to Industry Canada :baby:
Mong
9A247E-211493-9

Post by Mong »

exkalibur wrote:
I'd love to, but something tells me the FCC would tell us to FO and talk to Industry Canada :baby:

I bet they would cash the check first :baby: