Orlando Hamcation Feb 8-10 2008

A place to post info about local hamfests.

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

rc50won

Orlando Hamcation Feb 8-10 2008

Post by rc50won »

:vestman:

Who's going? Let's pick a channel to squawk on.

Marshall
N4BIF
vxo
14249C-001400-8
What radios do you own?: YoMama Mark II

Post by vxo »

Wow, it's the same weekend as Megacon. Hmm. I might go for part of one day or something... I dunno yet.
motorola_otaku
Cock Block

Post by motorola_otaku »

vxo wrote:Wow, it's the same weekend as Megacon. Hmm. I might go for part of one day or something... I dunno yet.
Hah, I run into that problem almost every year with A-Kon and the Plano hamfest. Shit sucks. :ve4uo:
And the sign says you got to have a membership card to get inside.
vxo
14249C-001400-8

Post by vxo »

Really, the lack of the South Florida Hamboree sucks worse. I miss that event.

It always used to be the weekend before Orlando. Last year it was bumped off due to the Super Bowl having *everything* in Miami full, every road locked down, or every business charging $50 for parking (I'm not even kidding here).

This year it looks like it's not going to happen because the guys in charge of it mysteriously decided to change venue, and the venue they tried won't allow for Friday setup for a weekend show. (This is idiotic. Who doesn't allow Friday setup for a weekend show? ..... I'm waaaaaiting.... *ding ding ding* nobody.)
FLECOM
Dayton 2007 Supporter

Re:

Post by FLECOM »

vxo wrote:Really, the lack of the South Florida Hamboree sucks worse. I miss that event.

It always used to be the weekend before Orlando. Last year it was bumped off due to the Super Bowl having *everything* in Miami full, every road locked down, or every business charging $50 for parking (I'm not even kidding here).

This year it looks like it's not going to happen because the guys in charge of it mysteriously decided to change venue, and the venue they tried won't allow for Friday setup for a weekend show. (This is idiotic. Who doesn't allow Friday setup for a weekend show? ..... I'm waaaaaiting.... *ding ding ding* nobody.)
you have no idea how much frustration has been involved with trying to do the hamboree again... we quite frankly couldent afford the fair grounds anymore, the amount of money they were charging us were astronomical...

we tried doing it at the UM convention center and that didnt seem too bad until we got to the friday setup, they do concerts on fridays which bring them in a significant amount of money, that we cant afford again...

but dont loose hope, we will have a hamboree this year :)

http://hamboree.org/

as for orlando, attendance was definately down... the whole 3 day show thing i think seriously backfired on them... the setup day (this year thursday) is the day where all the vendors buy and sell from each other (aka the good deals)... then friday had pretty crappy attendace which i guess was to be expected since most people are at work... then saturday wasnt that bad but the vendors all started leaving around 2pm saturday (it seemed like a sunday!) and sunday was just plain bad the tailgate guys dwindled quickly and the swap guys also packed up pretty early...

another issue was they couldent flyer computer buyers since market pro (the company that organized all of the computer shows in florida) pulled out of florida due to lack of profit... so that i think also probaly hurt them quite a bit...

and of course the thing i hear over and over at every hamfest i sell at, "i could buy that cheaper on ebay"... and with people selling sabers for $300 i dont blame them :baby:
slimbob
142490-000000-7

Re:

Post by slimbob »

motorola_otaku wrote: Hah, I run into that problem almost every year with A-Kon and the Plano hamfest. Shit sucks. :ve4uo:
More :pussy: at a comic con than a :vestman: :wacker: :ham: con.

WTF? We have a bunny doing goatse now?
:bnypancake:
Pass me my Saber -- it's the one marked 'Bad Motherf***er'.
motorola_otaku
Cock Block

Re: Re:

Post by motorola_otaku »

slimbob wrote:
motorola_otaku wrote: Hah, I run into that problem almost every year with A-Kon and the Plano hamfest. Shit sucks. :ve4uo:
Yeah, buddy! It's one of the reasons why I go to Otakon in Baltimore instead of Dayton every year. :baby:
escomm
professor of rectalingus

Re: Re:

Post by escomm »

motorola_otaku wrote:
slimbob wrote:
Yeah, buddy! It's one of the reasons why I go to Otakon in Baltimore instead of Dayton every year. :baby:
You would rather troll a bunch of fat chicks and guys that live in their mom's basement who all dress up like little japanese 13 year old girls than go to a HAMFEST?

BLASHPHEMY I SAY.
I'd hit it so hard you'd have to be to King of England to pull me out
escomm
professor of rectalingus

Re: Orlando Hamcation Feb 8-10 2008

Post by escomm »

*cues pic of otaku dressed like a 13 year old girl :baby:
I'd hit it so hard you'd have to be to King of England to pull me out
motorola_otaku
Cock Block

Post by motorola_otaku »

escomm wrote:*cues pic of otaku dressed like a 13 year old girl :baby:
Sakura was 17 and attended high school. Try again pls. :mjban:
Mong
9A247E-211493-9

Post by Mong »

escomm wrote:*cues pic of otaku dressed like a 13 year old girl :baby:

BS, Josh is more developed than a 13 year old girl. Wow, that didn't come out right at all :baby:
I'll take a warm midget fart over a cold beer any day
Mong
9A247E-211493-9

Post by Mong »

Josh knows not to smoke, or he might end up looking like this (sorry Josh) :baby:

I'll take a warm midget fart over a cold beer any day
vxo
14249C-001400-8

Post by vxo »

Ok, seriously now.. does anyone have pics from Orlando this year?

Also, I mixed up dates severely, Megacon is in March. What was I thinking?
Tom, KG4CYX - RF and RF Accessories.
Opinions expressed within are not necessarily those of anyone else.

@FakeAPStyleBook Also, which is correct: "Amateur radio", "Ham radio", or otherwise?
@VXO: "Amateur radio" and "ham radio" may be referred to as "nobody's listening."