FRIENDS DON't LET FRIENDS BUY YAESU

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

kb2seo
H98UCH9PW7AN

FRIENDS DON't LET FRIENDS BUY YAESU

Post by kb2seo »

I purchased a FT-100 (not D0from HRO in 2001. It was brand new. I bought the Remote kit, the ATAS Water collector(The Damn thing flooded in 6 months) Filters everything.

They were called a few days after hooking up the radio because of a hi- SWR logo. External SWR check says it's fine. they asked if it's grounded. "It's bolted to the Floor of my Car!" OH, Add ground to it. Click

Over the years, I keep calling Bitching about the lack of support, No dice 1800 bucks and they have yet to fix the radio. the POS won't TX on anything unless I am turned down to 20 watts or so, the FM is horribly weak and the Mic cuts on and off now.

I don't care if they make a rig that will bust through CB'er Static, A sunspot count of Zero and still get 20 over 9 to the Rocks off Antartica AND Gets on it's knees too!

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS BUY YAESU
KD8CPP
98245C-001400-5

Post by KD8CPP »

Never seen a FT-100, but IMHO, Yaesus are pretty good, but nothing compared to /\/\.
Achmead wrote:Oh wait I could have Clay Aiken
K2JLX
sarcastic twat

Post by K2JLX »

Yaesu.. don't even get me going.. i've had to perform surgery on my VX-7R twice in the last month or so, that said the colorful LED is quite awe-inspiring.... :soap:
Homophobe....... I'd hit it like a fucking screen door in a Goddamn tornado. When you get all old and sickly my round arsed friend, you will learn to take advantage of situations as they arise or do without. Does that make me a fag? Dunno.....don't care........but it means I am not going to do without....... -- FatherJack - 3/29/2012
k8djk
MOT1

Post by k8djk »

My father follows the same camp (he loves his Kenwood's) but when I got my ticket he gave me an FT-8000R for my car which I must say has been pretty reliable. My only beef is the button madness they use for an interface.

Hopefully I can pick up a tri-band Kenwood at Dayton this year with a remote head, then I'll finally permanently install it.
KE7JFF
98247E-011400-8

Post by KE7JFF »

Yaesu is interesting....their reputation differs from product to product...
n3wrx
142490-000000-7

Post by n3wrx »

k8djk wrote:My father follows the same camp (he loves his Kenwood's) but when I got my ticket he gave me an FT-8000R for my car which I must say has been pretty reliable. My only beef is the button madness they use for an interface.

Hopefully I can pick up a tri-band Kenwood at Dayton this year with a remote head, then I'll finally permanently install it.
Wow, interesting. I had a total nightmare of a time with my 8000R - 3 returns for warranty service. When did you buy yours? I bought mine in '97.

Actually, after the three returns :ham: things settled down, and I still own it, it still works.

-j
k8djk
MOT1

Post by k8djk »

I'm not sure, I'll have to ask my father when he got it. I think he got it at a swap or from a friend, I know for fact he'd never buy one new.
twobravo
MOT1

Re: FRIENDS DON't LET FRIENDS BUY YAESU

Post by twobravo »

kb2seo wrote:I purchased a FT-100 (not D0from HRO in 2001. It was brand new. I bought the Remote kit, the ATAS Water collector(The Damn thing flooded in 6 months) Filters everything.

They were called a few days after hooking up the radio because of a hi- SWR logo. External SWR check says it's fine. they asked if it's grounded. "It's bolted to the Floor of my Car!" OH, Add ground to it. Click

Over the years, I keep calling Bitching about the lack of support, No dice 1800 bucks and they have yet to fix the radio. the POS won't TX on anything unless I am turned down to 20 watts or so, the FM is horribly weak and the Mic cuts on and off now.

I don't care if they make a rig that will bust through CB'er Static, A sunspot count of Zero and still get 20 over 9 to the Rocks off Antartica AND Gets on it's knees too!

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS BUY YAESU
You sound like a fool I know who bought a Ford Pinto back in the 70's and of course, it was a piece of crap. Well, 30 years later we all know why. HOWEVER, this same fool swears that ALL Fords suck and that he'll never buy a Ford again. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense doesn't it?
KB0LPI
MOT1

Post by KB0LPI »

I'm pretty much an exclusive Icom guy but when I saw the 1802M brand new for $125 I couldn't pass it up :ham:. I don't care for the programming/menu system too much, but it seems to be a pretty solid little performer. Works as advertised. It won't stop me from considering them in the future.
exkalibur
98247E-011480-1

Post by exkalibur »

A good rule of thumb... the more toys there are in the box to break, the less helpful Yaesu will be :)

IMHO, the best HF rig Yaesu has ever made is the FT600.
[01:12] Seth: hey
[01:13] Seth: what do you use for a sore anus?
[01:14] exkalibur: more lube?
KC9UZB
98247E-011480-1

Post by KC9UZB »

FT8800 has been pretty good to me.

Only problem is the stupid WIRES button and the dodgy multi function control/volume/on-off switches/pots they use.
KB3PCW
MOT1

Post by KB3PCW »

You're right with Yaesu - Icom were like that too. Kenwood are pretty reliable. Yes, friends buy Kenwoods for other friends.

Icom 2T handie - Loved it, build like a rock. Icom IC-211, biggest POS this side of Washington, DC...Yaesu FRG-7700, great, FT-901DM - close to the IC-211 in shitness, FT-201 Analog Beast From Hell, built like a tank. Yaesu HT's? Nothing but problems. Kenwood mobile and HT's, every one I've owned/tried has worked with no problems. Heck, my TR-2500 is still my primary 2m handie/mobile rig unless I'm really urban, then I throw a Kenwood 7900 in for the extra wattage.

All that being said, can I be your friend? That new TS-2000 is on my Christmas list ;)
K9MUL

Post by K9MUL »

I am absolutely :xls: for my FT-60. That little sucker works like a champ. I also have an 8900 installed in my Durango with the separation kit mated to a Diamond C8900 antenna. I can't complain about the performance.

My only complaint with Yaeotorola is there doesn't seem to be any common logic between models as far as the programming functions. That, and the button labels don't make much sense. Oh and the control buttons on the 8900 don't light up, which is a pain at night.

Regarding this thread, I don't have any friends, so I'm safe! :baby:

-KevinTheMule
"My Horse is Half Ass."
n0xmz
98247E-011400-8
What radios do you own?: IC-725, IC-706MK2G, IC-207, /\/\ Spectra 900 x 2, IC-T7H.

Post by n0xmz »

I prefer Icom. If you can program one, you can program them all. My T7H (mil-spec) is pretty durable too. I can't count the times I've dropped it.
www.n0xmz.com
www.scottbomb.com
K2JLX
sarcastic twat

Post by K2JLX »

Meh, I still maintain my old VX-7RB was a POS, but even so I just got an 897D, from everything I read here and other places its a very highly regarded rig for its class, if I had the $$ I would have gone for the Icom 756 Pro III tho *drool*.
Homophobe....... I'd hit it like a fucking screen door in a Goddamn tornado. When you get all old and sickly my round arsed friend, you will learn to take advantage of situations as they arise or do without. Does that make me a fag? Dunno.....don't care........but it means I am not going to do without....... -- FatherJack - 3/29/2012
TheQ

Post by TheQ »

I love my VX-170. No problems with it.
AB9QU
98247E-011480-1

Post by AB9QU »

I have a VX 150
A FT 897D
FT 2800M
FT 7800 M

Have had no problems with any of them. I plan to probably get a VX6. I like all the different types of radios. I just got these mostly because of the deals I got at the time.
Results
not
Excuses

MORE GUNS,LESS CRIME
benjaminarthurt

Post by benjaminarthurt »

RayRay wrote: I was looking at possibly getting an iCom IC-T90A, however.
Don't do it, I've had nothing but issues with mine, 2 meter portion has died twice, I don't feel like paying to get it repaired again.
Ben-KC2PNN
KD6NIG
98247E-011480-1

Post by KD6NIG »

3 X FT8800
857D
FT60
VX-7
FT2800M (used as 24/7/365 packet radio)

I'll rap on my head a few times (knock on wood), but they are all over 2 years old now and still going strong.

I do also have a few other radios that are no longer made anymore. Namely 3 X HTX-202 and one HTX-404 :)

I'm sorry to hear you had bad luck, but I've had nothing but good luck. ICOM? I could tell you horror stories of what of a few of my ham friends went through with those....
Joshua, KD6NIG
Stockton, CA
http://www.kd6nig.net
WARNING: My wife says I'm the worlds largest source of natual gas. Shes right!
435 Repeater Audio: http://www.kd6nig.net/435rep.html
FatherJack
98247E-011480-1

Post by FatherJack »

Well, even though this topic is older than white dog shit, I have to comment. The FT-100 was the forerunner of the FT-100D, now, I know that seems like a very obvious statement, but my message is simple and it's this question, do you buy first offs or first revision levels of 'anything' and expect it to be worry or issue free?

Atlas
210X (purchased in non operating condition and it remains that way for now)

Standard - Marantz
C-508a

Kenwoods
TH 78a
TH 79a
TM 241a
TM 251a
TM 261a (blew finals once - antenna failure, why didn't the protection circuit work? Dunno, $75 repair)
TM 732a
TMV7A (for a total of TWO - no screen issues, never a problem)
TS450S/AT
TS570D(g)

ICOM
IC-2000H
IC-207H (finals came loose from PC board due to thermal grease failure, $25 repair)

Yaesu
VX-1R
VX-2R
FT-50R
FT-101EX
FT-980
FT-8100 (nice concept, cool idea, undoubtedly the biggest mistake Yaesu has ever made, period..... no, the FT-100 doesn't even come close)
FT-857D

Motorola
Everything that I have is what is on loan to me by two friends. All of the equipment looks like it narrowly survived a nuclear holocaust and works FLAWLESSLY.

Kids, there is no doubt in my mind that I may be more fortunate than some, not likely any more than most. The 'issues' I have had with my toys and those borrowed are obviously quite minimal and no, I NEVER buy ANYTHING when it's on it's initial release, nor would I buy an old pile of shit that is / was a first rev level rig. Use some common sense and treat your shit like you paid for it, as you likely did, and it might last you for a while.

*Josh, how was that? Was my grammar okay and was my use of profanity kept to a minimum?* :baby:
It's the end of our hobby as we know it and I feel fine.
motorola_otaku
Cock Block

Post by motorola_otaku »

FatherJack wrote:*Josh, how was that? Was my grammar okay and was my use of profanity kept to a minimum?* :baby:
I have to give you credit for mentioning Motorola without saying "fuck" once in the same sentence. :baby:

"Thermal grease failure," eh? That's a new one to me. Although I have to say Seth still wins for setting a lowband GE Orion on fire.
And the sign says you got to have a membership card to get inside.
Mong
9A247E-211493-9

Post by Mong »

motorola_otaku wrote:Seth still wins for setting a lowband GE Orion on fire.

They always had hot receivers :baby:
I'll take a warm midget fart over a cold beer any day
Mong
9A247E-211493-9

Post by Mong »

My list of yeasu gear is....

Yaesu FT2600M mobile (x2)-got these from HRO when they were on clearance for $109 and they are still working, had a few times where the memories went away, but haven't had that in years. 8-segment display is a plus over current production rigs.
motorola_otaku
Cock Block

Post by motorola_otaku »

Oh, I guess I could post something on-topic for a change, eh? :baby:

MY one and only experience with Yaesu was a FT-411 handheld I picked up from a garage sale several years before actually getting licensed. It powered up just fine, but wouldn't TX or RX shit. Dude told me "oh, it just needs a new battery." Well, a new battery didn't do it. :ve4uo: Turns out the VCO wasn't locking for some reason that no one could ever figure out, and I eventually just gave it away.
And the sign says you got to have a membership card to get inside.
Mong
9A247E-211493-9

Post by Mong »

motorola_otaku wrote:Oh, I guess I could post something on-topic for a change, eh? :baby:

Why bother, no one else ever does :baby:

I forgot I also have a FT530 that I got cheap, seems it's cheap because it does not work that well (TX or RX) on VHF. It was mars/capped at some point ( :wacker: ) so who knows what it was used for. The 440 seems to work well enough. It came with a rebuilt battery pack and a charger, plus an antenna that I really have no idea what band it is for.

That might be why it's borked up :baby:
va3wxm
98247E-011480-1

Post by va3wxm »

FatherJack wrote:FT-8100 (nice concept, cool idea, undoubtedly the biggest mistake Yaesu has ever made, period..... no, the FT-100 doesn't even come close)
I dunno. The FT-7100 was one turd of a radio. I had one. :tsgay:
WTF
9A247E-211493-9

Post by WTF »

Fuck Yaesu, they'll sell you a $1500 radio and stop making the finals for it two years later, and no one else has them either......Yaesu Sucks...
Q: What is red and orange and looks good on a politician?
A: FIRE!!

"Yea we eat grits in South Carolina, so what? You fools here eat that Skyline Chili junk. I'll keep the grits..."
AB9QU
98247E-011480-1

Post by AB9QU »

AB9QU wrote:I have a VX 150
A FT 897D
FT 2800M
FT 7800 M

Have had no problems with any of them. I plan to probably get a VX6. I like all the different types of radios. I just got these mostly because of the deals I got at the time.
Have added the VX6R and I like it.
Results
not
Excuses

MORE GUNS,LESS CRIME
FatherJack
98247E-011480-1

Post by FatherJack »

w2wtf wrote:Fuck Yaesu, they'll sell you a $1500 radio and stop making the finals for it two years later, and no one else has them either......Yaesu Sucks...
Ah, so I take it you have sold the FT-847 then? :baby:
102480-000000-3

Post by 91004 »

While you guys sitting here Bitching about a damn useless radio I'm going to fire up the Clegg and make some contacts. Clegg is probably the best radio ever made period. Hell it will stand up to your halicrafters, swans, icoms, kenwoods, yaesus, and anything else you throw at it . It will even survive a nuclear war!! Now you guys need to heed my notice....I have to get back to my Clegg.... It's makes a nice foot rest too!!!
FCC Amateur Radio Operator WB3JWS
FCC GMRS Operator WPWS358
KC9GJC

Post by KC9GJC »

I have a first production run FT-100 that I bought last Christmas. It was kind of my motivator to upgrade my license.

I went and passed the General test, came back home, and the receiver was dead. Nothing on AM or SSB. FM still works, so I guess I have a really expensive dual band rig now.

...it worked pretty nice while it still worked, though.
K2JLX
sarcastic twat

Post by K2JLX »

Ah. well I've got a Yaesu FT-897D and get nothing but great audio reports on the air, yes the learning curve on the rig is high, like most Yaesu's I have used, but when you spend the time and get to know the rig and its operation, its really quite intuitive.
KE7SZE
MOT1

Post by KE7SZE »

twobravo wrote:
You sound like a fool I know who bought a Ford Pinto back in the 70's and of course, it was a piece of crap. Well, 30 years later we all know why. HOWEVER, this same fool swears that ALL Fords suck and that he'll never buy a Ford again. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense doesn't it?

Damn, you beat me to it.
FatherJack
98247E-011480-1

Post by FatherJack »

KE7SZE wrote:
twobravo wrote:

Damn, you beat me to it.
Not to worry, he only beat you by about 14 months. :baby:
ricker
MOT1

Post by ricker »

KC9GJC wrote:I have a first production run FT-100 that I bought last Christmas. It was kind of my motivator to upgrade my license.

I went and passed the General test, came back home, and the receiver was dead. Nothing on AM or SSB. FM still works, so I guess I have a really expensive dual band rig now.

...it worked pretty nice while it still worked, though.

The only problem my ft-100 ever had was the display, soldered the damn thing in and it works like a charm and Ive had it in the car for about 8 years now.

My 1000 MP MKV has never given me one bit of trouble, or Syd's Yaesu mobile. When I had an FT-817, it worked good, sold it to a friend and he blew out the finals in it.. LOL. Have the FT-450 now too, nice radio, with firmware updates! (use it on 6 alot).