Anyone going to Charlotte on the 13th?

A place to post info about local hamfests.

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

w4wtf
Dayton 2007 Supporter

Anyone going to Charlotte on the 13th?

Post by w4wtf »

I am debating it........
Taking donations for the WTF Quantar fund....
Mong
9A247E-211493-9

Re: Anyone going to Charlotte on the 13th?

Post by Mong »

I think the new location sucks since they say Concord yet it's WAY on the other side of nothing compared naything in Concord. BUT.... I am off that weekend and am only coming from Gastonia so I'll be there.

As a plus, the old hamfest location in Charlotte will have a C&E gunshow the same weekend.

http://www.ppm-nc.com/calendar/index.php
http://www.cegunshows.com/ShowInformati ... fault.aspx
I'll take a warm midget fart over a cold beer any day
KG4CGC
98247E-011400-8
Location: Way Down South, Redneckville, South Carolina, red clay district, The Buckle of The Bible Belt, EM84

Post by KG4CGC »

I be dar. Trying to get some sleep though.
Hamsexy is like peeing your pants.
Everyone can see it but only you feel its true warmth.
But then you get old and pee in your pants while wizzing around in you hamabout.
KG4CGC
98247E-011400-8
Location: Way Down South, Redneckville, South Carolina, red clay district, The Buckle of The Bible Belt, EM84

Post by KG4CGC »

OK, I about to hit the road. Bucking the trend though, showered and using deodorant.
But then you get old and pee in your pants while wizzing around in you hamabout.
w4wtf
Dayton 2007 Supporter

Post by w4wtf »

I spent all my $$$ buying a bunch of /\/\ stuff at auction, so no going for me.
Taking donations for the WTF Quantar fund....
KG4CGC
98247E-011400-8

Post by KG4CGC »

The Charlotte hamfest was nice. The bouquet was strong of many medications, one of which, when ingested, produces the prolific odor of gluey, soapy, dog repellent and hair spray. The mobility chairs were abundant in number but not outdone by the presence of portable oxygen tanks. I believe there was one in attendance who stores his clothing in a neighbor's barn. I chose to buck the trend by shaving, showering and using deodorant with a spritz of Aspen. I should have bathed in the Aspen, to be honest. There was even a Mexican looking vendor selling used shoes and bronze jewelry. More computers this year than ever before, even a few old Commodores and one Amiga.

I looked in earnest for the HTX-500 of which a friend is seeking but alas, it was not there. Many, many of the HQ line were available. I saw several TS 570D's, a couple of 940's, an 830, a pair of Icom 7500's, an 8500. The Ten Tec gear was beat all to shit except for one nice looking Jupiter w/AT. 1200$$$ asking price seemed a bit suspicious. The Heathkits were strangely not in abundance like they normally are. A couple of SB220's here or there. No receivers or otherwise to represent the old Heathkit line. Several nice little Hammarlunds for 30 and 35 $$$. Project for someone. A Yaesu FT 101/2 for 150 $$$. Hey! The lights did work! A few FT 7** rigs. CBs, DAK stacks, 11m amps, Ranger RCI 29**, coax, scopes, bins of old surveillance cams, crap tools, good tools, assorted magnifiers and satin statuettes. More crap than I have room to mention.

Martin Jue Jr. was manning the MFJ booth. Ten Tec was there just for show as was Yeasu. HRO and Ham Radio World?Universe(?) was there. What ever radio HRO had, Ham Radio W/U was 25 $$$ cheaper. Wire Man, the whacker vest supplier with embroidery machine on hand, Girl Scout cookies in a roving wagon being pulled by overweight Girl Scouts. Sorry. A little cruel. I want to give props to the people from Debco Electronics aka debco.com. Debcoelectronics.com ... They had a whole row for their little parts, close to 180 feet total in table lentgh. They are a little Mom and Pop that sells more than electronic pieces. Look them up. I got 10 crystal diodes for 50 cents each, several multipacks of caps, resistors and transistors for 1 dolla each. Two packs of jumbo LED's for a dolla a pair each (elusive blue), dolla pots, ferrite doughnuts, all in all, 60 dollars worth of pieces parts for 16 $$$. I could have spent all day there thinking about parts I MIGHT need! Not to mention connectors, adapters RF and audio, sockets ... the list would go on and on ... meters. Debco is Tom K8CLA and Deb N8BVI. Need parts, CHECK THEM OUT FIRST.

I did not partake of any of the food offerings. Standard fare, whooptie do, right? But being so close to the heart of livermush country, by 10am the very nice facilities were under siege all manner of sounds and odors. I know, bathrooms tend to stink, it is the Law of Nature. However, the cacophonous chorus of the mensroom combined with added echo and an over taxed ventilation system gives reason to redefine the meaning of certain terms related to battle field conflagrations and being on the front lines of attack! I only wanted to pee! Really! After I walked in there though, suddenly, the rules of Mensrooms Etiquette suddenly did not apply! I just wanted to relieve my bladder and get out. Sorry, guy standing beside me at the urinal. I know there is supposed to be one empty urinal space between us at all times but I was not going to wait for you to clear out and risk fighting over the space left available. In case you're wondering, yes. Yes I did wash my hands as I tried to breathe through my mouth using my teeth as a filter against the onslaught of the awesome power that is Olympic Hamfest Powerdumping. I knew I was up against the Best of the Best but I tell you no lie when I say that I had no idea what was in store upon my entry into that Special Portal of Hell. I may have only spent 60 seconds in there, 75 tops but it seemed like and unending, tortuous eternity.
Mong
9A247E-211493-9

Post by Mong »

Sounds like it was as I expected, too bad I was not able to make to say hi.
ka8ypy
Administrator

Post by ka8ypy »

Sorry I didn't make it to town earlier. I found out yesterday that one of my light vendors was having a Distributor meeting, so I made the 7 hour trip down here from DC in 5 1/2, got in at 5:30 PM. Current staying over on Arrowood Rd at a Holiday in express. Once the meeting is over on Monday, back to DC I go. maybe next time I can make a couple days of it.

I actually wanted to hit the gun show.
I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen commrade
Mong
9A247E-211493-9

Post by Mong »

You're supposed to give us more notice (by us, I mean the Charlotte members.... me) :baby:
va3wxm
98247E-011480-1

Post by va3wxm »

Maybe there's a reason he didn't give more notice... :baby:
ka8ypy
Administrator

Post by ka8ypy »

Mong wrote:You're supposed to give us more notice (by us, I mean the Charlotte members.... me) :baby:
If I would have had more notice my self, I would have let the whole Carolina Chapter know of my travel plans. Maybe next time.
I will never quit.
Mong
9A247E-211493-9

Post by Mong »

ka8ypy wrote:
Mong wrote:You're supposed to give us more notice (by us, I mean the Charlotte members.... me) :baby:
If I would have had more notice my self, I would have let the whole Carolina Chapter know of my travel plans. Maybe next time.

They'll be one less Carolina member by then :baby:
ka8ypy
Administrator

Post by ka8ypy »

Are you moving or removing someone from the gene pool??
I will never quit.
Mong
9A247E-211493-9

Post by Mong »

ka8ypy wrote:Are you moving or removing someone from the gene pool??

#1.......further away from Dayton (there goes any chance of going now)