Miami Hamfest, Feb 1-2, Miami, FL.

A place to post info about local hamfests.

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

vxo
14249C-001400-8
What radios do you own?: YoMama Mark II

Miami Hamfest, Feb 1-2, Miami, FL.

Post by vxo »

A warm welcome to all...

Miami Hamfest
http://miamihamfest.net/

Friday, Feb. 1 2013 12-8 PM
Saturday Feb. 2 2013 8 AM-6 PM

Location: The Miami-Dade Fair Expo Center, 10901 SW 24 ST (Coral Way), Miami FL 33165

Amateur radio, electronics, and alternative energy show

Tickets $10 advance before Jan 1, 2013 / $12 at the door (good for both days of course)

Hope to see you there. Oh, and is there any interest in a Hamsexy table? I know we probably don't have that many peeps here in South Florida at the moment but hey, you never know :baby:
Tom, KG4CYX - RF and RF Accessories.
Opinions expressed within are not necessarily those of anyone else.

@FakeAPStyleBook Also, which is correct: "Amateur radio", "Ham radio", or otherwise?
@VXO: "Amateur radio" and "ham radio" may be referred to as "nobody's listening."
vxo
14249C-001400-8

Re: Miami Hamfest, Feb 1-2, Miami, FL.

Post by vxo »

....yes, I am indeed the chairman, so please feel free to bother me with any requests, suggestions, or anything of the like. (will I regret this?....) :mjban:

@FakeAPStyleBook Also, which is correct: "Amateur radio", "Ham radio", or otherwise?
@VXO: "Amateur radio" and "ham radio" may be referred to as "nobody's listening."
K0KDS
14249C-000400-0

Post by K0KDS »

vxo wrote:(will I regret this?....) :mjban:
Yes.
rfrederick
MOT1

Post by rfrederick »

Suggestion #1: Hoveround repair and tune-up table.
KC8RYW

Post by KC8RYW »

rfrederick wrote:Suggestion #1: Hoveround repair and tune-up table.
+1

How about a table with a dummy load, a wattmeter, a signal generator, frequency counter and a high current 12VDC source, etc., complete with someone who both guards the test equipment from walking off and helps test their stuff. Maybe have a hat for donations for the wear and tear of the equipment.

This way, some jerk at a table can't say "this rig works great!" and sell you a used lemon.
rfrederick
MOT1

Post by rfrederick »

Are you planning on holding an exam session or two?
vxo
14249C-001400-8

Post by vxo »

Poo! I forgot to check the thread on my very own event, DERP! Yes, we do plan on having exam sessions.

vxo
14249C-001400-8

Post by vxo »

KC8RYW wrote:
rfrederick wrote:Suggestion #1: Hoveround repair and tune-up table.
+1

How about a table with a dummy load, a wattmeter, a signal generator, frequency counter and a high current 12VDC source, etc., complete with someone who both guards the test equipment from walking off and helps test their stuff. Maybe have a hat for donations for the wear and tear of the equipment.

This way, some jerk at a table can't say "this rig works great!" and sell you a used lemon.
This is actually a really great idea, I'd love to have this set up. It'd be the first time I'd seen this done at a hamfest.

Err, that is, the radio testing station. The Hoveround repair and tune up table? Uh... haha. Add a controller bypass relay to max out the motors for optimum highspeed approach to the buffet at Golden Corral? :ham:

rfrederick
MOT1

Post by rfrederick »

vxo wrote:This is actually a really great idea, I'd love to have this set up. It'd be the first time I'd seen this done at a hamfest.

Err, that is, the radio testing station. The Hoveround repair and tune up table? Uh... haha. Add a controller bypass relay to max out the motors for optimum highspeed approach to the buffet at Golden Corral? :ham:
The couple of hamfests I've been to in OK this year have had test benches as described above. The typical setup includes a jar where people drop in $x.xx for however much time they wish to use the equipment. They seem to do rather well as most hamfest goers purchasing used gear will hook up their potential purchases to the bench if available before bringing out the cash.

As for the hoveround repair table, don't forget to offer installation of wacker lights and other ARES equipment. :wacker:
vxo
14249C-001400-8

Post by vxo »

rfrederick wrote:As for the hoveround repair table, don't forget to offer installation of wacker lights and other ARES equipment. :wacker:
Only the latest and greatest in energy efficient LED

vxo
14249C-001400-8

Post by vxo »

Well it was a great success :D
Sorry I kinda vanished for a while, but stay tuned for the info on next year!