Fedora Core 3

Discussion of internet radio linking, and other similar things.

Moderator: Global Moderator Team

wb4bsd

Fedora Core 3

Post by wb4bsd »

Okay, so how do i get my linux box on my network. I have internet going to it no problem.. but how do i setup the domain name so that i can see it on my windows network???
Rusty
WB4BSD
IRLP Node 4739 Owner
Coded General Class Hammy
n3jfw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by n3jfw »

Rusty
WB4BSD
shouldn't you know?
tvsjr
Moderator - Dayton 2006/2007 Supporter

Re: Fedora Core 3

Post by tvsjr »

wb4bsd wrote:Okay, so how do i get my linux box on my network. I have internet going to it no problem.. but how do i setup the domain name so that i can see it on my windows network???
Are you running a DNS server? If you mean you're trying to be able to get to the machine with a "\\<computername>" syntax, you need WINS. Samba would be your choice.

Personally, I ditched WINS. I run an internal-only BIND box and use that for all of my name-serving. Works much better. Still using Win2k3 for the Active Directory forest.
wb4bsd

Post by wb4bsd »

no DNS server. but i should be able to see the linux machine in my network places and be able to pull files over shouldnt i?

is there a good book that explains the textual part of fedora 3? i looked tonight and everything talked about the GUI parts of fedora. And as we all know, IRLP doesnt use the gui and from what i hear, the gui cause conflicts and stuff...

speaking of this, anyone have a sound card that will work that they wouldnt mind sending my way????
Rusty
WB4BSD
IRLP Node 4739 Owner
ve3nsv
98249C-001400-7

Post by ve3nsv »

Sound cards where an issue years ago but I think most any sound card is supported now with Dave's latest codec, I myself use a Vibra 16 but I think most chipsets are supported.
IRLP Node 2410
Echolink Node 152298
Icecast Server

They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.
tvsjr
Moderator - Dayton 2006/2007 Supporter

Post by tvsjr »

wb4bsd wrote:no DNS server. but i should be able to see the linux machine in my network places and be able to pull files over shouldnt i?
You could get to it by IP... otherwise, with no DNS server, how's it going to know to make things appear in Network Neighborhood? That's done by running a WINS client, which is installed natively with Windows (one more open port...) but not by Linux. You'll need to configure Samba.
wb4bsd

Post by wb4bsd »

So the newer sound cards still on sale at walmart will work these days??

and WinSCP works well. I just wanted a way to put script files over onto the box..

the command prompt stuff is tough, but i am getting use to it.
Rusty
WB4BSD
IRLP Node 4739 Owner
ve3nsv
98249C-001400-7

Post by ve3nsv »

Yes the sound card issues are mostly a thing of the past but a few have be known to cause minor issues, like anything else in amateur radio trial error will your best friend. If you plan on using any CW ID scripts then you will need to use an old ISA card like my Vibra 16 for the synth feature. I use WinSCP also for transfering files and puTTy for day to day configuration via command prompt.
IRLP Node 2410
Echolink Node 152298
Icecast Server

They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.
mrcpu
142490-000000-7

Post by mrcpu »

wb4bsd wrote:no DNS server. but i should be able to see the linux machine in my network places and be able to pull files over shouldnt i?
Linux, by itself, won't be compatible with windows in the way you seem to be wanting it to be. That said, software like SAMBA or the SCP program that were mentioned here are 2 ways to deal with this.

Using an SCP program is like using an FTP program that will let you copy files up and down from the box.

Using SAMBA will make your linux box look like a Windows server on the network. You probably want to setup SAMBA with the WINS component enabled and then make sure you config your windows box to use the Linux box as your wins server. Once done, you'll be able to map drive letters on your Windows box to your linux server's hard drive.

Good Luck!
wb4bsd

Post by wb4bsd »

okay, the file transfer issue is good to go now that i have WinSCP.

is anyone using the sound blaster live 24 from walmart? its like 25$ and looks very simple. just curious if that will work. I hate to buy something off ebay that may be DOA when it gets here..
Rusty
WB4BSD
IRLP Node 4739 Owner
kb8ufj
DAYTON 2006 SUPPORTER

Quick suggestion...

Post by kb8ufj »

Grab yourself a copy of webmin (http://www.webmin.com - you might be able to yum install webmin at a command prompt but I can't remember off hand). Webmin will let you manage the entire box via a web browser. Makes it easier than having to edit text files.

Also, if you haven't already, run yum update a few times and answer Y when it asks you if it can download. Do that until you stop getting updates, which will be two or three times. I built a FC3 box today and I think I had to run it twice.

Samba is VERY easy to set up. Just use user based security and mark your shares as public and readonly = no. Webmin will help you get things set up correctly.

Good luck!
wb4bsd

Post by wb4bsd »

i dont know how i did it before, but can someone tell me what HOST name i should be using to logon to my linux box using WinSCP???

Thanks

Rusty
Rusty
WB4BSD
IRLP Node 4739 Owner
mrcpu
142490-000000-7

Post by mrcpu »

wb4bsd wrote:i dont know how i did it before, but can someone tell me what HOST name i should be using to logon to my linux box using WinSCP???

Thanks

Rusty
Only if you tell me my mother's maiden name!
mrcpu
142490-000000-7

Post by mrcpu »

In other words, I can't read your mind! You can either put in the IP of the linux box or if you want a name you have to configur your HOSTS file on your windows box or setup DNS on the linux box, configure it, and tell your windows box to use it.
wb4bsd

Post by wb4bsd »

I am trying to get FC3 to have a static IP address for propper consistant port forwarding. It's kicking my a$$. Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Rusty
WB4BSD
IRLP Node 4739 Owner
wb4bsd

Post by wb4bsd »

figured it out.. nevermind
Rusty
WB4BSD
IRLP Node 4739 Owner